OT - grasp of simple concepts like road names

Or gate. Gate is an old word meaning street, so Churchgate, Watergate, etc. okay, but Hale Gate Road, etc. just seem odd.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Same with the Big Market and Quayside in Newcastle.

Reply to
bert

Near Ruabon

Reply to
bert

Oi! I lived there for 31 years

Reply to
DJC

Indeed.

I'll be honest and state that I only know it because of the road name here and having travelled to Trevor by narrowboat in my youth.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Bound to. Because *all* roads lead to Rome.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

No, it isn't.

It means gate. The way into a walled or fenced enclosure.

German developed thast to 'gasse', or street, but that was later.

so Churchgate, Watergate,

Only because your original premise is wrong.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, exactly :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depends on how old you mean. In Spenser's Faerie Queen (written in the

1500s), he uses gate to mean lane or pathway, and gate is frequently used in Scotland for the names of streets, for example, the Canongate in Edinburgh.
Reply to
S Viemeister

Useless fact : Glasgow has more parkland / green space than any other city in Europe.

Reply to
Bob Martin

IMNSHO, your NSHO is a load of old hooey. :o)

On that we can agree.

Reply to
Huge

Huge

Might as well rename it to "Dustbin Alley"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Indeed. It certainly didn't look like that when I lived in Bristol.

Reply to
Huge

When I was at university in Bristol, I walked up that road on my way to Brandon Hill to have my sausage rolls and pork pies from the bakery nearby (Devon Savouries - no idea what the shop has become now) and I never noticed that sign.

In north Leeds, near where I was born, there is a road called Street Lane

On the railways, there were Box Signal Box (near Box Tunnel on the GWR) and Junction Road Junction (on the Gospel Oak - Barking line in north London)

NY

It's no green space in Larkhall. It's "open space".

Neds in Larkhall burn the grass if it's too green.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Maybe by total area I don't know.

By percentage of area,against area covered by the city, it is Edinburgh.

Edinburgh 49% Glasgow 32% Figures from :-

soup

In Northern Ireland that was called a Court. (An open doorway in a row of terraced houses on a street leading to a collection of tenements with one tap and one privy)

Reply to
paul.mccann

Theres a town in Co. Cork, Ireland called Millstreet. THere is also a vill age in Co Westmeathe called Street.

Reply to
paul.mccann

Some of the streets in Dublin have the numbers starting on the left at one end, running to the end of the street to cross over and come down the other side. Very confusing sepecially whan half the pillocks have no numbers on their doors

Reply to
paul.mccann