OT:Goodmans

"Brian Gaff" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:q9p2kd$eb5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I don't have any issues about where items are made - but I believe the design should be the accountability of the brand name holder - then again, on reflection a lot of design is contracted out or shared. Not really sure what a badge means now. Using kettles as an example, I believe about 85% come out of a farly anonymous factory in China.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

TMH snipped-for-privacy@medwayhandyman.co.uk> wrote in news:q9pf6q$o32$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

The cameras were not exactly well made - simple box camera on the front of a film / print producing part where most of th einginuity was in th efilm pack.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Changing the name to Rover?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Black & Decker 24270 2-Slice Toaster With High-Lift Function And Crumb Tray, Stainless Steel

Reply to
alan_m

The Hitachi brand is used in the UK to badge Vestel TVs made in Turkey.

Reply to
alan_m

I expect they will eventually market one of these ...

'Hydrate level 4 please'

Adrian Caspersz

I'll be buying a Kenwood drill soon......

Reply to
TMH

The one that got me was the Marshall DAB radio...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You should be OK with Hitachi, they make just about anything. Or maybe Samsung if you want to include ships.

Reply to
dennis

Although Samsung's printer division has been taken over by HP I understand.

Not sure how much longer Samsungs will continue to accept compatible toner.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Or Hyundai, or Mitsubishi.

However, does making ships imply that their TVs will be well made?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Specify anything by just the brand name and it's a crap shoot, but that's been the general trend for UK consumers for years - just get the likes of Currys, John Lewis, Argos, Tesco and Costco to filter out the dross.

If folks specify by actually understanding specifications and quality materials then we might get somewhere, but then the markets are very niche. Far wider technical choice in other countries, or (thankfully today) across the internet.

The dark forces of consumer manipulation will always win.

With in one corner murdoch and haymarket, and in the other - the world of dodgy fake reviews, and much fan-boy'ism.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

They didn't make my Freeview PVR with their name on the front - it was made by Vestel in Turkey like most other TV stuff.

Reply to
Dave W

A friend has a washer made in Slovenia - Gorenje brand.

I was impressed and came across the name when looking for a retro styled fridge - bought one - very impressed.

We forget there is a massive consumer market in other parts of the world that has its own manufacturing base and we tend to not see them because they happen to not have a major importer to the UK. The Eastern European market is massive.

I recall years ago when I was into HiFi, and going on holiday to Denmark. I saw amazing stuff from Phillips - that never made it to the UK as they focused on a different market in different coutries. We tended to see more Jaapanese stuff at the time.

Same with cars - remember the early Renault Twingo. Popular on the continenet but a decision was made not to make a RHD version for the UK so we never got it here.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I thought it was technically too difficult and therefore too expensive to make RHD versions of the original Twingo for a limited number of sales. Twingo II and III is available in both ISTR.

Reply to
mm0fmf

My alarm clock, a mechanical wind-up Westclox broke in May 1989. My wife popped into an independent local TV&Radio shop near where she worked. They still existed in 1989! She bought a Sony Cube radio alarm clock for, I think £39.99 which was quite steep.

It still wakes me for work (retirement clock now running) and has been on continuously since May 30 years back. The vacuum fluorescent display is on its last legs and is only visible in the dark now. Sounds good for such a tiny speaker.

I doubt I could buy something like this today that will still be viable in 30 years time. Not bad value for money at £1.33 a year!

Reply to
mm0fmf

mm0fmf snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in news:q9qlcm$1bo$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I believe there was also a factor of it competing with the Clio. However, as another example I recently saw a Clio with a boot. Made for the Eastern European market, Renault Symbol, or Thalia.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

More fool you. China doesn?t work like that.

Reply to
2987pl

Was it a Volksvagen fridge?

Mr Harston occasionally of this parish has made mention of his Mercedes[1] in the past.

Owain

[1] Vacuum cleaner
Reply to
spuorgelgoog

If you can increase filament voltage/current a little it should spring back to life.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr