OT:Goodmans

Aren't they Dutch anyway?

Reply to
Jim K..

Seen today on a shelf in shop, although it seems they're quite popular at least according to Google.

All proud owners and former owners of highly regarded Goodmans speakers and hi-fi (as founded in 1925) will be pleased to learn that they can now buy a Goodmans toaster (still as founded in 1925) although not in matching black.

michael adams

michael adams

and why not? Curry's started off as a Bicycle shop.

Reply to
charles

Reminds me of hearing a couple looking at TVs in Sainsbury's - Looking at a Polaroid badged one the bloke said "Well they make good cameras so it should be good." Wrong on so many levels!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

ISRT seeing a Goodmans TV on sale. Made in Turkey.

Like so many others, just a name.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed. Polaroid jumped the shark straight after the cameras and the sunglasses IMO.

Saying which, I always choose packs of Kodak batteries in the poundshop. There's often a special offer of 2 extra batteries as well. 10 for the price of 8. Although I now see that Panasonic are getting in on the act as well.

michael adams

michael adams

They can put it next to their Bush washing machine which they use for washing their JCB socks.

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Once upon a time Goodmans put their name on a Nakamichi cassette deck.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

That's a name I haven't heard for a couple of decades.

They're still pricey on Ebay.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Goodman's reputation was built on the quality of their speakers, amps tuners all of which were based on highly sophisticated electronics of their own devising and which commanded an appropriate price in the marketplace. They're now attempting to transfer that reputation to their production of toasters all of which basically consist of two or four heating elements some primitive mechanical couplings and thermostats and a very large helping of hype and/or bullshit.

The only surprise is that Dyson and Apple haven't entered this particular market.

Are you claiming that there has ever been a similar transformation from Curry's reputation as a bicycle builder from 1888 onwards and Curry's subsequent reputation as an electrical goods retailer ? Are you saying people chose to buy TV's etc from Curry's based on the founder's reputation as a small scale bicycle manufacturer ?

Or if not, what exactly are you claiming ?

michael adams

..

Reply to
michael adams

I tried to set one up once. Simply impossible to get the same performance out of both channels. I concluded one of the heads must be twisted.

It was in short, shit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are you saying it is still the same company?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Goodmans brand belongs to Harvard International, which used to also own the Alba and Bush names before selling them to Argos.

Reply to
Rob Morley

You tell me.

Interestingly (or not as the case may be) even during their heyday the majoritry shareholders were Radio Rentals (as was). In the intervening period they've been subject to management buyouts etc and are now a subsidiary of Harvard International. Whoever they are.

The "co.uk" website is a nice touch, you must admit.

michael adams

michael adams

It's just another of so many "classic" names like Kenwood and Roberts that has been bought by people from the far east.

Reply to
newshound

I keep hearing on el radio 'Vauxall cars - British Brand since 1903' And keep wanting to yell 'and now owned by the US car conglomerate with more debt than Australia'.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not your fault then?

Reply to
Pamela

Vauxhall are part of PSA now

Reply to
DJC

Harvard are/were the owners of brand names that perhaps had a good reputation in the past They were the manufacturers/supplier of one of the earlier Freeview boxes which they marketed the identical electronics under 4 different brand names at different price points because some ill informed customers were under the impression that one brand better than another.

I believe they sold the Alba and Bush brand names to Argos so that Argos could rebrand no-name electronics with a brand that may be recognised by the British public.

Reply to
alan_m

I wasn't 'claiming' anything. just pointing out that companies sometimes change the prodcuts they sell.

Reply to
charles