OT GM food anyone?

From what I can tell, it appears that the IMF in conjunction with the EU have persauded the Ukraine to plant Monsanto GM crops. How does the UK keep them out of our market?
Monsanto AIUI have lost a US supreme court decision where they claimed ownership of corn seed which had been contaminated by cross pollination hrom an adjacent GM field. If previous decisions from the EU courts are anything to go by, then in the EU they would have won, causing a massive increase in seed corn prices.
As the prevailing winds are eastbound, then this is going to spread GM seeds into Russia. I guess this is the perfect excuse to provoke a Russian invasion of the Ukraine to destroy all these crops and wreck the Ukraineian economy which is already in hock to the IMF and the EU.
Life looks interesting!!!
The greens don't seem to have spotted this yet to any real extent, but it may well provoke a few more leave votes.
Actually in New scientist and Nature the debate on GM has re awoken as it is claimed that al gm does is speed up new varieties to market than traditional breeding programs.
The problem of ownership of seed is a bit more complex. On the one hand if you allow the seed to be viable and the polen to be transferraable then you will get different mixed species of the original even though the original seed is unviable.
Actually I doubt your scenario will occur, as some people still have common sense. Brian
--
----- -

You seem to think that GM is only about Monsanto's ownership of some seed variety. There's a lot more to it than that.
--
HAL 9000: Dave. Put down those Windows disks. Dave. DAVE!

On 02/06/2016 11:40, Tim Streater wrote:

Yes, but there are a lot more headlines in "evil empire copyrights seeds" than in "GM rice reduces vitamin deficiency in 3rd world".
Andy
On Thu, 02 Jun 2016 21:24:48 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

Do you think Monsanto are concerned with nourishing the Third World?

As a means to an end, they undoubtedly are. Lots of Third-Worlders around these days, an increasing market and increasingly difficult growing conditions due to climate change. But which is to be preferred: 2 million kids growing up with vitamin A deficiency and all that that entails, or Monsanto making shed-loads of profit? At least in the latter case, some of that profit might be used to develop other crops with beneficial properties, such as their drought-resistant maize.
--

Chris

Sorry: for '2 million kids' read '200 million kids' http://tinyurl.com/hmakapr
--

Chris

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

Aww, so cute. Who do you think is responsible for the global obesity crisis?
On 05/06/16 15:19, Richard wrote:

The man who invented the refrigerator and the man who invented the microwave?
On Sunday, 5 June 2016 15:34:41 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

me

A huge amount of food is grown there worth a great deal. Of course some are willing to pay more for crops that crop more reliably. Some governments ar e also willing to pay towards food with improved nutrition.

Human nature. Getting fat whenever there's enough food around has for most of human history been a basic & essential survival mechanism. We are progra mmed to get fat. In modern times fat works against us, causing disease disa bility & death. We have to act counter to our basic instincts to stay in fi t shape.
The situation is worsened by capitalism, where capitalists package food as entertainment and promote indulgence in entertainment. Since profit rules, it tends toward ever worse food at ever greater levels of appeal and ever h igher prices.
Then it's worsened again by governments that fail to implement decent meals in schools, hospitals etc. The sh-te sold to the public in hospitals is mi nd bogglingly unhealthy, and the food bought by hospitals to feed patients simply not upto the job of being food fit to keep people alive as long & he althily as practical on a low budget.
NT

The situation is worsened by socialimm,. which gave a class of people who had no education in the uses of wealth, far more money than they neeeded. So they ate and drank themselves to death.

Actually last time I was in a had a very decent salad..

On Sunday, 5 June 2016 20:11:08 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Most things are. No system is all good, and this area is one of capitalism's shortcomings.

Yes, it's hit & miss. Like the NHS generally.
NT

Exactly. Give a certain sort of peole more money, and people will sell them the crap they think they want.
Have you noticed how much advertising for cosmetics is/was going on in these times of recession?
On Monday, 6 June 2016 11:30:27 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The same thing goes for the entertainment indusrty and even drugs. Poepl spend money to make themselves feel better, about themselves and their situation.

The kids don't want it and the parents aid and abet the kids by passing the fish/chips through the railings.
--
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without
evidence."

You think it's Monsanto?
--

Chris

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

Along with the processed food industry.
On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 17:18:57 +0100, "Richard"

LOL!
--

Chris

On Sunday, 5 June 2016 17:19:00 UTC+1, Richard wrote:

Who is the food industry ?
Look, the real issue here is ownership, its much like anything else, if a company has made something then they have spent money on it, nobody would buy it if it were useless now would they? The problem in my view is one of understanding the situation here. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active