OT: German bomber in London station roof during ww2

I'm certain that I remember seeing a picture of a German bomber (He111, I think) embedded in the roof of one of the London railway stations during WW2, but Mr Google hasn't been able to help me find it. Can anyone here help with a link?

Reply to
blank

I think that was a clip from a movie 'battle of britain'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can't find it in here:

but closer scrutiny might help.

Reply to
Davey

ISTR an incident in 1940 where a Hurricane rammed a bomber which fell onto Victoria station probably that one.

Reply to
Onetap

Nope, not that one.

Onetap

Ah yes, I think you may be right. Unfortunately, last weekend I told someone it was a real event and promised to find a pic :-(

Reply to
blank

Oops!

Reply to
Davey

Assuming it would have been in the Blitz, I can't find anything in my 'War in Pictures'; six volumes of newspaper pictures that were published in book form in the 1950s.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

There was certainly at least one which crashed actually on the track near a station, I can remember it as a photo at school, but I think if one had really gone into a station, we would have been shown the picture of it. Brian

Reply to
Brian_Gaff

No I'm sure the nearest thing was a crash on a railway line. maybe aiming to ditch in the Thames and missed? Brian

Reply to
Brian_Gaff

Somewhere near Brooklands ISTR (not the incident, but being told about it).

Reply to
charles

I doubt it is in here, but searching came up with this marvellous collection of wartime pictures from the London Transport Museum

World War

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Well, if you manage to track down the movie (torrents are your friend if you can bypass your ISP's blockade) you can always lift the required frame and post it as a jpeg to either 'save face' or at least explain your confusion if you decide to 'come clean''. :-)

Reply to
Johny B Good

(That's a fantastic story: it has _everything_![1] Thanks!)

John

[1] (except sex of course.)
Reply to
Another John

umm. will this do?

The Natural Philosopher

Brilliant! ... at least I got the aircraft type right, even if it wasn't a real event ;-)

Reply to
blank

yerrs. I recorded that movie - was on recently...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Snap! I have the "War in Pictures" in 6 books also. Published by Odhams. Used to be my Dad's. I've never seen it, or referred to, anywhere and was beginning to think it was rare and maybe worth something!

Cheers Pete

Reply to
petek

I remember playing in an Air Cadet band at the film's local premiere - must have been 1969 or 1970

Reply to
blank

They did try to be as historically accurate as they could, so it possibly was based upon a real incident. If you look at the still, the aircraft is not embedded in the roof, but is in the process of crashing somewhere in front of it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar