OT: George (ASDA) £8 trimmer/clipper. Any good?

I am looking for cheap and cheerful corded trimmer/clipper that I can use for both hair (male, nearly bald) and beard. Apparently even Wahl have negative reviews on Amazon, so I do have to shell big money?

I used to have a Babyliss, but it has just died.

Reply to
Simon Ferrol

I use an old Wahl device. The secret is to make sure the cutter is well lubricated where the two parts slide. I will regularly use WD40 and that way a hair doesn't get caught and pull.

I use a small WD40 spray can for convenience and I'm sure you can get alternative more fragrant oils!

Reply to
Fredxx

I know you said corded but I've had one of these for ages and cant remember when I last charged it, it does a good job, can't really fault it though I wish it went a little shorter in hair length,

BaBylissMEN Japanese Steel Beard and Stubble Trimmer

20 quid.
Reply to
R D S

I had to laugh when I read, "2 hour charge time for 120 minutes usage".

Reply to
Fredxx

+1 I have a large and a small Wahl device, both cordless. They do need to be cleaned and oiled to keep them working well. I have a 100ml bottle of cutter oil (light machine oil) that cost little. Before clipper use I apply it to the sliding blade and then remove the excess with tissue paper. I also have cut down a paint brush to remove hair from the clippers after every use.
Reply to
alan_m

Wahl actually sell clipper oil.

(we used to have the main Wahl (UK) a mile away, with a shop attached)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Haha, now that's a decent return!

Reply to
R D S

Well I tend to use a pair of hairdressing scissors and a good beard trimmer like on the Phillips shavers for my hair. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

GT85 smells better than WD40 and works well, although sewing machine oil or gun oil is more like the proper stuff - some users claim that Tri- Flow is worth the additional cost. Then there's a whole Amazon category for "Trimmer & Clipper Oil". Some of the nicer smells may be accompanied by a tendency to get sticky or gummy, but clipper disassembly and cleaning tends to be trivial so you could use them anyway.

Reply to
Rob Morley

If the Babyliss is an old style mains only one, which just uses a solenoid buzzing away. The modern cutters are very much better, I assume they use a motor drive, rather than a rough solenoid vibrating at 50Hz?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I just mow it back to a stubble with no plastic thing on the hair trimmer.

Much quicker and easier to do.

Not stupid enough to waste my time shaving the head.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You could even use a lubricant instead of a spray designed to keep your car ignition dry.

Water Displacement formula 40 is what it means...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris