OT: General thanks

No questions..

Just a general "thanks" for a couple of gems.

1) For the "use a wet paintbrush to clean out between tiles after glueing on" (think that was Andrew Gabriel) - it's silly things like this that make a job just a little bit easier...

2) Everyone who has ever mentioned Fugenbois - just siliconed in the whole bathroom bar the bath which was done ages ago - wall to floor junction, basin and round the doors. Those little buggers make a yuk job (well, it was in the old days - wet finger my arse) quite civilised. Discovered a while back that a meths soaked kitchen tissue is excellent for wiping off the infintesimally thin film that the Fugenboi laves on the tile face (and for cleaning the thing and fingers too).

Grout tomorrow - not my favourite job but I usually get a decent result...

Reply to
Tim Watts

For grouting floor/wall tiles its worth buying a grout float similar to t/station 67317 rather than using the bendy bits of plastic with a rubber strip. The one B&Q sell for about =A36 is better though as it has angled edges which allow you to push grout deep into the joints.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

Dave Starling wibbled on Monday 12 July 2010 20:08

Already have (not quite the same but same basic idea).

It's a side effect of having bumpy lumpy tiles - you can't do a quick wipe off with this then one wipe with a sponge and it's done. The float does what it can, but there's a lot more spongework needed which has to be done typically 15 minutes into the job per section.

Dead flat floor tiles were easier in this respect (but much less forgiving of error).

I'm still amazed by how the pro I got did slate. He had a really cool bucket with a roller on top and a sponge mounted on board with a handle. The roller was used to squeeze the sponge dry - he basically splatted grout everywhere then wiped it all off with about two passes.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , Tim Watts writes

Did you really mean to say that ;-)

Reply to
fred

fred wibbled on Monday 12 July 2010 22:29

Well, the Fungenboi curved thing has 2 radii, small and, err, not so small.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Come on Tim - I think that ducks the question. Let's have an answer!! Rob

Reply to
robgraham

robgraham wibbled on Monday 12 July 2010 22:52

Are you asking me to bend over backwards to give you one...

Or do you want to probe further?

*cough*
Reply to
Tim Watts

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Watts saying something like:

I find a dry finger perfectly acceptable, and my fingers have several radii. Trick is really to put just enough thickness of bead on so there's no surplus to worry about as it smooths off.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

No scratches? Not even very fine ones? Says him with a film covered lump bumpy tiled bathroom, so water proof grout.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What about the fingeree?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Probably not if you don't scrub too hard.

There could be another effect with st. st. though: 'free-cutting' st. st. might have lead in it and that, IME, can 'write' to porcelain. It happened when I was trying to clean out a WC (AG wouldn't fit in).

Reply to
PeterC

covered

That sort of mark can be shifted very easily with Bar Keepers Friend.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ta - worth knowing. I find that thin grout etc. can be removed easily when dry with a green scritcher - except use a white one!

Reply to
PeterC