OT fruit - oranges

For a few weeks, we have been buying regular small boxes of oranges from the local coop, described as 'grade 1 easy peelers' - Spanish mandarin.

Having a sweet tooth, I found them quiet juicy and sweet though not entirely consistent even from the same box. The last box contents was different, not so sweet, not so juicy and very pithy, not nice at all so they were binned. The obvious difference was that they had a lump where the stalk goes, bulging rather like nipple. Might that suggest they had been picked too soon, or simply a different variety?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Different variety. They're commonly known as 'Navel Oranges', because of the likeness of the bulge to a human navel. Navel oranges are seedless.

Chris Hogg

Chris Hogg presented the following explanation :

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I think you are confusing oranges and mandarins/clementines.

I think what you are referring to is a "clemenule" - see fruit at upper right in picture here:

There are so many varieties these days available in shops simply sold under a big label which says "Clementines" (eg "Nadorcott") that if in a net bag you need to look closely at the label on the bag to see what you are actually buying!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Jeff Layman was thinking very hard :

More than possible, I have never studied the subject.

Like that, but with a very pronounced bulge where the stalk went, which was why I wondered if they might have been picked to early - they hadn't filled out properly.

I bought another box/ pack today, these are nicely rounded and lack the bulge - just like the contents of the previous boxes. Yet to try them, but it looks promising. I am trying increase my fruit intake.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Doubt they are navels as navels are a quality orange.

Reply to
FMurtz

In message , jim writes

But the inability to transport and display bananas correctly seems to have spread from M & S, who have always been hopeless, to other local supermarkets.

I don't like the large brown patches. It was never like this in the days of clipper ships.

Reply to
Bill

Depends on country of origin and method of picking, transport and storage. Some regions are not suited for fruit growing although that doesn't stop the production of such as it seems the only important criteria is the look of the fruit rather than taste.

Reply to
alan_m

I suspect it is more due to careless handling and bruising than to other factors in transport.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Or well past their date. Oranges are funny things, as some are just no edible and only really useful in things like preserves etc. I'm told you can tell by the leaves of the tree, but assuming these are all the edible types, its hard to really say, but my guess is that they have been perhaps either picked too soon or too late or left hanging around too long.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Do the buyers for the supermarkets actually taste or perform any quality control before the fruit gets put on the shelves?

I've just thrown away a packet of pears that seem to have turned to some form of concrete rather than ripening!

Reply to
alan_m

They start of like concrete. Then for about half a day, they're lovely. Then they disintegrate.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

In our family, the saying is that you have to sit up all night to catch a Williams pear ripe.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

but, I like 'em and one of the dogs likes 'em.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

"French Golden Delicious" being a case in point. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Not to worry, Jim. At least one of us got the literary reference straight away. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

The only fruit I ever buy from supermarkets is/are bananas. Then its necessary to shop around to find branches which stock large bananas, as most seem to prioritise small or medium "lunchbox size" fruit.

Pears are always difficult as they have to be picked and transported unripe/hard as they bruise so easily once they start to ripen.

One of the advantages of living where I do, is that there are plenty of ethnic greengrocers, many of whom have displays/piles of pears outside the shop; 90% of which are similarly hard. Its sometimes necessary to visit 5 or 6 of these shops to find the one or two pears in each pile which will ripen fully within the next week. They go straight in the fridge door and are taken out one or two at a time to warm up over the next 24 hours. Which with experience doesn't take that much longer than visiting the supermarket when you know where to go. Same with oranges. But then not everybody lives in a city with the pavements cluttered with ethnic shops I suppose.

Despite experts claiming they need to be at room temperature to ripen, at room temperature they'll ripen too quick and the final three of four will go mushy. Unlike other fruit, pears will also go mushy from the inside out. Outside fine, inside brown. Storing them in the fridge door doesn't seem to hinder ripening just slows it down. 69 to 79p per pound ATM round here

To expect any fruit or veg to be properly ripe from a supermarket is probably expecting a bit much. Years ago when regular customers bought daily from proper fruit and veg shops - as with the ethnics to certain extent today the shopkeepers could buy just what they needed from wholesalers they could trust to sell within one or two days. Like opening restaurants overstocking on fresh produce without the benefit of frozen storage is a quick road to bankruptcy.

The supermarkerts threw all that out of the window. Because of the long supply chains to compete on price while keeping waste to acceptable levels they have to prioritise shelf life. While customers will carry on buying rock hard unripe and tasteless fruit and vet, as soon as they find anything rotten they will be demanding their money back and pictures of their mouldy fruit and veg will be splashed all over the red-tops. Ideally just pulled from the mouth of their two year old tot.

michael adams

michael adams

Ah, the old east-end barrowboys. Funny, I thought most of those shops were run by Asians these days. Who aren't ethnic over here.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris