OT. Freezer gassing

Our freezer compressor runs but no longer cools. Repairer called out says it has lost it's gas.

Repairer says gassing is only done by a very limited number of companies, that it is expensive and if the leak is internal it cannot be sealed anyway.

Anyone got any comments?

It is a Beko TZDA a little under 4 years old so I will try to get a proportion of the repair or replacement cost from the retailer or my credit card company.

TIA for any replies

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh - in either England or Sp

I have never heard of a refrigeration company that cannot recharge. The problem is:- it a slow leak or has it just developed the leak? If it is a slow leak you may get another 4 years before it happens again. If it has just developed the leak the refrigerant will leak out quickly. Leaks can be very difficult to detect. Your repair guy sounds like a bit of a plonker. He should have looked for the obvious leak and then given you a quote. He is correct that an internal leak cannot be repaired. If the compressor has been running for ages and doing nothing it may well be knackered. Your call, I would not have it recharged.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

4 years is not a reasonable life for a freezer, unless it was extremely cheap, so yes, I would go back via the retailer whose liability is 6 years, providing the product would be expected to last that long. (Don't know if credit card liability is the same.)
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

correct

regassing is bound to fail, the only question is when. The system is leakin= g. In most cases its not economic.

I can't see an argument for that winning. You can expect upto 6 yrs from hi= gh quality brands, and Beko is more a cost cutter brand.

Thre is one last option. Regassing can be diyed for =A31 or so using HC gas= es: couple of relevant sections here:

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Beko have a reputation for being cheap and crappy. I'd not touch anything of theirs from what I have heard. Its made to a price taken to the extreme, but having said that most if not all the refrigeration pumps etc, are made by two companies one in Italy the other in China.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks everyone.

Other half wanted a freezer in a hurry cos we are entertaining on 23, 25 and 27 December so I have had to cross the threshold of the dreaded Currys who will deliver tomorrow and take away the old one.

I am well aware of the Sale of Goods legislation. One of the retailers I have sued in the past was the Dixons Group (who denied everything until it got to their legal department). Never lost yet.

There is a common misconception that everything should last 6 years. You do have 6 years to make a claim but some items may have a life expectancy of weeks and others of many years. How long is a piece of string job.

Amusingly the fridge freezer I gave my daughter is well into double figures and I had another freezer I got rid of working perfectly at 14 years old - both cheap.

Bit tricky suing when you are out of the country a lot so I will have to let this one go and de-stress on the Costa del Sol .....

Reply to
Hugh - in either England or Sp

Zanussi made some very good stuff. Danfoss made some wonderful compressors. In 1995 I put a 34 year old Danfoss compressor into a 15 year old Zanussi larder fridge. I got 6 years out of it. It was still working when I skipped it due to having a new kitchen. But yes Brian, Beko is shit but not as shit as it used to be.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Lec?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

14 year old was branded Iceland. Can't remember what the other one was.

Reply to
Hugh - in either England or Sp

In message , Hugh - in either England or Spain writes

If it has a leak ... it will just leak again unless you find the leak

Reply to
geoff

I think Iceland imported Proline and badged them Iceland. You have done well with that; Proline used to be pure crap.

Reply to
Mr Pounder