OT: Firefox Verified by Visa stopped working

Can anyone suggest where to start looking for a solution to this problem? Googling hasn't turned up any recent problems and I've tried the suggested fixes with no luck.

Trying to purchase from various websites using Firefox, the Verified by Visa window appears but is blank, effectively halting the process.

Firefox 33.1 Mac OS X Yosemite

AdBlock turned off. No other add-ons. Set to Accept Cookies and Accept 3rd Party Cookies.

The purchase can be completed using Safari but I have a relative who prefers Firefox.

Reply to
mike

Maybe not the same problem but the Wickes site recently refused to let me place a order supposedly on a VbV failure. I use chrome. It evidently set a flag against me on the Wickes server because other cards would not work either. Wickes phone staff could not over-ride or reset it. Visa insisted that all the transaction checks had gone through. In the end I had to set up an account for my wife, and her second card on the same account went straight through.

Reply to
newshound

In article , mike writes

I had something similar happen and it was a corrupt or mis-set security setting (TLS was set disabled).

Open Firefox,

open "about:config" in the address bar (accepting dire warnings if offered)

enter 'security" in the search/filter field

look for security.enable_tls and set it to 'true' (which I think _should_ be the default but mine was showing false)

While there check that ssl is set true as well.

Reply to
fred

Just a passing thought, but aren't some versions of SSL now deprecated because of security issues?

So should it perhaps be make sure TLS is on and SSL is off?

A quick Google was inconclusive but did seem to have a lot of bad things to say about parts of SSL.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

MOST of the bugs have been fixed now: the question is whether the server side has been upgraded

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This has happened to me a couple of times over the past few weeks, I simply change browser and/or OS to get round the problem. It seems to me though that it's only specific sites/routas to Verified by Visa that cause the problem, other ones seem OK at the same time.

Reply to
cl

Has Firefox updated. Assuming its like the windows version, often add ons that will no longer run are disabled. Also quite a few seem to be flagged in the add on manager as never activate or ask, all these can be toggled.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

These might help (I had the problem with Pale Moon on Ebay):

In Pale Moon Commander (advanced options extension), under Security - SSL, I had to untick Require safe SSL negotiation.

No idea if Ebay has fixed its problem as I've not tried buying from there since it was hacked. When I get a tuit to reset my p/w I'll have a go.

Reply to
PeterC

can't help you but I had the same problem at my last place of work

One of the browsers wouldn't display the VbV box and another would, so I hade to book all my flights home using the one that worked

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try them out tomorrow.

I've just been told that although the box appeared blank, in two cases the transaction still went through -- the relative meanwhile had redone the order on Safari and only found out when four deliveries turned up.

Reply to
mike
[snip]

Sorry, I'm replying to the earlier post; I don't seem to have seen it.

What do you mean by blank? I've been registered with VbyV for years but I can't remember when I last actually had to fill in any details. When a transaction that has a VbyV step in it occurs, I see the VbyV page with the central box where the VbyV dialog would appear, if it was going to, and then the screen clears and I get the usual transaction-confirmed screen from the vendor.

This is normal, if the card-issuing organisation has decided that the transaction using your card doesn't need to be subjected to the VbyV process.

(Long ago I rang Visa International up and asked about this, because I wondered if not seeing the VbyV dialog meant there was something wrong with my browser.)

I can't say why a transaction won't complete, though.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

No.

SSL is now dead because of a proven weakness. I wouldn't call it a bug!

Most servers have turned off SSL and only enable TLS.

Reply to
Fredxxx

On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 11:19:01 PM UTC, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wr ote:

By blank, I mean the box where VbV should appear does appear but there's no thing in it. And it then just sits there. Doesn't disappear, doesn't boun ce you back.

As I said last night, a couple of transactions have gone through and it see ms that these threw up a timer/ countdown rotor /whatever which obviously made the connection to Visa, decided it didn't need to do the verify step a nd put the order through although, like the times when nothing at all happe ned, and empty box then sat there given the impression the transaction hadn 't worked.

Reply to
mike

IME VfV/3DS rarely works at all. I have found one card that works (Tesco Mastercard) and I have turn my browser security settings *DOWN* (can't remember exactly which now). Things like noscript and ad blockers can also stop it working.

It's annoying since VfV/3DS doesn't really add any benefits to the customers. It's mostly the banks trying to avoid liability for fraud.

Reply to
Mark

It has a benefit for the retailer, as it shifts liability to the card issuer.

Reply to
Nightjar

It's recently stopped working here. It always rejects my password, then the password reset process fails ("There has been an error" - Gee, thanks.), then I do the "Assisted Password reset process" dance and it works until next time. Rinse and repeat, three times so far.

Reply to
Huge

But has disbenefits such as lost sales from all of us for who VwV doesn't work.

Some retailers (e.g. Amazon) do not use it because it causes "friction" that outweights the benefits of reducing fraud.

Reply to
Mark

Which is almost certainly a lot smaller number than they would lose by not accepting cards, which might be the only alternative for many businesses if there were not the liability shift.

That is a commercial decision for each business. IME it is usually only large companies that decide to take the risk themselves, but they will have very sophisticated fraud risk software in place, which will evaluate each customer for risk on a wide range of factors.

Reply to
Nightjar

The only time I ever experienced difficulty with this Visa verification, solved by installing Opera 26 over the top of existing version which I'm continuing to use - was when trying to renew my TV Licence online.

As obviously Crapita need to be sure that the Joe Bloggs of 3 Railway Cuttings East Cheam on the Visa Card, is the same as the Joe Bloggs of 3 Railway Cuttings East Cheam as printed on the TV Licence.

The fact that Crapita have a monopoly on the TV Licence and the fact that they can't be bothered to tailor the payment requirements for each of their client sites to the needs of the customers of that particular client speaks volumes as to the standards of these money grabbing scumbags.

Or maybe more to the point as with the implementation of much IT, everything from websites to electronic train information, if it makes things look more complicated and\or impressive at the cost of no extra staff, then do it regardless. Even if the information is often wrong and the punters may have to jump through uneccessary hoops.

michael adams

michael adams

In message , Mark writes

Which is probably a relatively small numberCan't say I've had a problem with it - different cards, both Visa and Mastercard

Reply to
Chris French