OT: energy infrastructure

That too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Thats why I am writing my own CH controller. To be able to keep zones from getting icy, but not warm enough to be comfortable, all from a web browser.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

£250 bn is only two and a half times the cost of a single railway line.

No. Nuclear would be my preference.

Yes - and energy dense, so we wouldn't need turbines all over the countryside.

Definitely. I want to know that when I want power, it is there and that prices are not fluctuating massively due to very variable supply.

Reply to
SteveW

Nuclear becomes a lot cheaper when you choose three design (for diversity), get them through regulatory approval and then built multiples of the same design.

Reply to
SteveW

We heat multiple rooms because our homes are used for multiple purposes. Our system allows each room to be heated independently and, at the moment, we heat the hall (to a low temperature) to prevent large temperature differences as we move around and prevent damp and mould; the living room, as we spend our time there; the kitchen, because we spend a lot of time there; another room as the kids have their computers and desks there; the bedrooms as required and the bathroom for comfort at the times when we are likely to feel the cold the most and to fight damp and mould.

Once the kids have grown up and left, one of the bedrooms will be heated more, as it will become a hobby room, that we may walk into and sit down at any time, without planning ahead.

Where should we leave unheated out of those?

As for wearing more clothes. I can't stand that - as soon as I do something more active, I get too hot and start itching horribly.

We already have double glazing and cavity wall insulation. To improve efficiency, we'd have to replace (at great cost and with expensive damage to the decoration), all the windows with better, more modern versions.

Increasing the wall insulation would require external insulation (requiring repositioning of drains, extending of the roof, lookin gout of place against the rest of the brick houses and narrowing the already narrow driveway, preventing access to the garage) or internal insulation (requiring every room to be redecorated, the bathroom to be replumbed and retiled as everything was moved, the kitchen to be re-done and the stairs to be narrowed, when with two 90° bends, it is already almost impossible to get a bed up or down it.

When money is tight, payback time is immaterial - just doing it in the first place is unaffordable for many.

Reply to
SteveW

the reason insulation is expensive is the government. If they let us diy it as we chose there would be many houses insulated with rendered polystyrene, insulation offcuts, papercrete, woodcrete, scrap insulation & so on. As usual the stated objectives don't match the actions.

Reply to
Animal

I don't believe that, historically heating bills have been quite low, maybe £1000 a year. Even if you saved everything, no heating, that would mean a maximum insulation spending of £10,000.

Reply to
Pancho

I had always been a sit around in pants and vest type. Last year, I got some snuggle onesies. Last winter I sat around in a pants vest and onesie. It was really quite a revelation. Comfortable, light, and warm. Having air circulate from my chest to my legs, without a draft in the middle, or constriction, was very comfortable. The temperature I was comfortable at went down 4 or 5 degrees C.

When it got colder, I bought some USB heated vests. This also worked, quite well, and the technology can be improved. Very good for working at a desk. A heated desk mat meant my hands stayed warm. I wouldn't bet against heated clothes becoming a solution. In London, it rarely gets that cold.

My main problem was I felt embarrassed going outside the house in the onesie, which looks like pyjamas. I've been looking for something similar that would be respectable enough to go to the shops in.

Payback is important, finance, loans, can be used to shift payments in to the future where they are offset by savings. The real risk is energy might become cheap and the future savings disappear.

Reply to
Pancho

That latter comment is true enough; supporters of ‘green energy’ have been telling us for decades how cheap ‘renewables’ are. One day, it might actually come true as far as the domestic consumer is concerned, but so much money is being made on the generation side that that will probably be a pious hope.

Reply to
Spike
+1469-430-8634 IELTS mock test by certifiedieltsbridge.com

HEAD OFFICE Florida-United State

EMAIL US snipped-for-privacy@certifiedieltsbridge.com

LET’S TALK WhatsApp : +1 469-430-8634

The IELTS examination serves as a benchmark for English language skills and is recognized by thousands of institutions worldwide. As the demand for certified English proficiency increases, so does the interest in acquiring IELTS certificates through online platforms. While the convenience might be tempting, there are crucial factors to consider before embarking on this path.

Understanding the Importance of IELTS IELTS is an internationally recognized test that assesses an individual's listening, reading, writing, and speaking skills in English. It is often required for academic pursuits, employment opportunities, and immigration purposes in English-speaking countries.

The Rise of Online IELTS Certificate Offers In the digital age, various websites claim to provide genuine IELTS certificates without the need for exams. These platforms offer a quick solution to individuals who may lack the time or confidence to prepare and appear for the actual test.

Reasons Why People Consider Buying IELTS Certificates Enhancing Educational Opportunities Many academic institutions mandate a minimum IELTS score for admission. For those aspiring to study abroad, buying an IELTS certificate might seem like a shortcut to fulfilling this requirement.

IELTS Certificate Buy IELTS Certificate Online IELTS Certificate IELTS Certificate for Sale IELTS certificate Buy IELTS certificate online Authentic IELTS certificate Online IELTS test IELTS exam preparation Genuine IELTS scores IELTS certificate for sale Verified IELTS results IELTS test practice IELTS registration online IELTS exam tips IELTS mock test IELTS band score IELTS academic/general training Broadening Career Prospects Employers often value candidates with strong English language skills. As a result, job seekers might consider purchasing IELTS certificates to enhance their employability in competitive job markets.

Facilitating Visa and Immigration Applications Immigrating to an English-speaking country often requires proof of language proficiency. Buying an IELTS certificate might be seen as a means to simplify the immigration process.

HEAD OFFICE Florida-United State

EMAIL US snipped-for-privacy@certifiedieltsbridge.com

LET’S TALK WhatsApp : +1 469-430-8634

Reply to
Sam Parker

Why not use an external frost-stat and a pipe-stat on the return like everyone else?

I presume this is going to be on a Linux PC rather than bare metal microcontroller?. What language are you going to write this in?

Reply to
Fredxx

I'll stand corrected, but I gather from various talks I've been to that the cost of fitting insulation at the time of design/construction doesn't add that much to the overall cost. Retrofit is where the costs can really start to mount.

Reply to
RJH

I'm not sure. Perhaps you could use the house more communally. The point is that people sholdn't be told - they should work it out for themselves or it'll never work.

Then of course there's the issue of when kids leave home, and rooms stand empty. Move house?!

Several layers?

I didn't find internal insulation too difficult ina soild wall Victorian house

- but then there's just me most of the time. The disriuption for families can make it very tricky without considerable financial support.

Some homes it'll be close on impossible to get to even 'heat pump' standard.

Agreed. I just think it needs to be done. I pay the government to do the planning and work out how.

Reply to
RJH

Today, you cant construct without the insulation. It *is* quite expensive as immense quantities of kingpsan are required *everyweere* and it all has to be sealed. And it doesn't install itself. Id say £10,000 on a new build might be in the ballpark for a detached family home.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It can be. £100 for a PV panel, feed to a low voltage immersion heater & you can get over 1000% payback over its life.

Reply to
Animal

The thickness and type of some insulation required for a new build or new extension etc. changed last year.

alan_m