OT: Electric Shavers

Well, not entirely OT, I do shave myself but I need a new one. My current Panasonic is only a couple of years old and the battery holds its charge for less than a week.

So, what is everyone using? What does anyone recommend as a decent quality electric shaver with reasonable battery life and a good clean shave.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

I am disappointed with the recent Remminton Rotary. Its not cutting much compared to my older one. the only thing wrong with that one is that the battery sensor stops the motor starting due to undervoltage, but if you plug it in then start it and remove the plug it carries on working. the new one has weedy little cutters instead of the good ones of the previous model which is now about 7 years old. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Beard and sandals here, mate.

Reply to
David

Philips Aquatouch A750. Battery life is remarkably good. The shave is not quite as close as a wet razor but still okay. It can be washed under the tap or used in the shower, as the name suggests.

Reply to
Scott

I have a similar Philips. I did find washing under the tap just made some of the dust clump together. You do have to clean it out properly too.

And you can sharpen the blades. My last Philips lasted years (the batery went in the end). I did the blades every three months or so.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Wet shaving ... not much help.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have some model of Philips which is waterproof too. I must have had it ten or more years. I keep it in the caravan now, only used whilst away, but the battery is fine and almost never needs a charge from year to year.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I have an American Philips, aka Norelco, washable and many years old. It still works fine, but needs recharging frequently. One day, I'll take it apart and see if I can replace the batteries.

Reply to
Davey

I've got the three head Remington which Lidl had on offer ages ago at under half the price of a posh make from an ordinary store. Surprisingly, the battery life is still excellent. It washes out under the hot tap just fine.

Have sharpened the blades a couple of times on one of those fine diamond coated plates.

Trimmer is pretty useless, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

[snip]

That's odd, I have a Philips S5320 which has a similar type of head and I've never had the dust clumping together. I just flip open the cover after each shave and give it a good blast under the hot tap so that the water runs through the cutters. I've had it about a year now and it's months since I last removed the cutters for a thorough clean. I've just taken one out today to check and there's hardly any sign of dust.

After a year's use it's still giving me 15 shaves of about 5 minutes each on each charge.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Think the answer may be to use hot water.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A Phillips basic model AA battery powered razor that is about 25 years old and has only needed the wires soldering back on the motor a couple of times.

Reply to
philipuk

I see an error. Should read 'AT750'.

Scott

Please detail the blade sharpening. I have a brand new Lidl with blunt blades.

Reply to
Capitol

If you Google, you'll find lots of U-tube videos showing different methods of sharpening rotary head cutters. But if a new one is blunt, perhaps poor quality? If it is new, I'd get my money back.

I have some diamond coated plates with different grades of diamond. Used the finest one, and then finished with Solvol Autosol on a bit of plate glass. Rubbing the work on the plate in a circular motion, against the cutting direction. I'm not saying it's perfect but no longer snatches long hairs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I bought some rotary head sharpening things. Must be at least 5 years old; they are on their second shaver!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think that depends on whether you want a reciprocating or rotary type - I prefer the latter.

What I don't recommend is the cheap one own-brand one "value razor" or some such, sold by Argos. A couple of years ago I bought one of these for an elderly relative and it's battery voltage has already declined to the point at which it barely turns the cutters. I've just bought a much more expensive Philips model to replace it, which says it has a Li-ion battery, which may be better. In another 2 years I might find out.

Reply to
Clive Page

I have a Philips which I've had for _years_. The battery is f***ed but it works fine plugged straight into the mains. I've had it at long enough to be aware that the bristles I wash out are greyer than they used to be :( At least 5 years, probably a lot longer. Never needed sharpening.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Remington lectro from about 1971. Mains only so no battery problems. Huge cutting head speeds up the process greatly. Only downside is the trimmer is less useful than a chocolate teapot.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message , Vir Campestris writes

I'm still using the Philips my first wife bought me. We divorced in

1992 - but not because of the shaver :-)
Reply to
Graeme