OT: Ebola

5-10 million would be paradise.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So never mind the early years of Victoria's reign, we're now back to roughly the Elizabethan era...

Reply to
Adrian

yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The more the merrier IMO - somebody needs to be paying for my state pension.

Reply to
Nightjar

What about the black death in Europe? Modern travel and high density living wasn't a problem then.

Reply to
alan_m

You would be surprised at how dense the population and how well travelled it was.

IIRC UK was about 6m people and continental trade was well established.

I don't think the population exceeded that for 400 years

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 05/10/14 20:53, "Nightjar

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK, now we're getting somewhere with how we plan to deliver this reduction in population...

Since about 12m people are in receipt of the state pension in the UK, and damn near half the national welfare budget (10% of total Government expenditure) goes on the state pension, all we need to do is bop everybody on the head when they retire.

Reply to
Adrian

Followed by: Bankers Lawyers Cold Callers MP's Councillors People who look at you in funny way ;-)

Reply to
Bod

So you're suggesting a solution that involves something you wouldn't like done to you?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think it was only about 7m in Napoleonic times. Odd we were able to win then, given France's was considerably higher. Must have been the navy.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Somebody needs to pay for your private one too - somebody needs to buy the goods to pay for the businesses who pay the rent on your industrial units, for example.

Reply to
Clive George

Sounds like this may be another part of the pickle we're in, then. All this only works (as presently arranged) if everything keeps on cranking up faster and faster.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Random sterilisation. You can be first, retroactively.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I've already done my bit, ta. No kids, snipped.

Reply to
Adrian

Reply to
Nightjar

I did mention that in my original reply to you. Current economics only works that way. Business only works that way. I'm not sure the free market can work any other way.

Reply to
Clive George

I've already done my bit, ta. No kids, snipped/q

I thought you were gay anyway?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK