OT earthquake felt - notts @ about 01:00 27 feb 08

felt 2 shocks - small then bigger one eartquake - notts about 01:00 27 feb 08

Reply to
dave

Just the bigger one in Stockport Cheshire/ Gtr Manchester.

Reply to
Martin Crossley

magnitude 4.7, 30 miles south of Hull

Andy Burns

helicopter. They fly pretty low over here and it was a remarkably similar sound- that kind of heavy pulsing. In fact that's what I thought it was. Sounds came, then mild vibration to building - faded, came a second time , much stronger and louder. Est. about 5-10 seconds overall.

Reply to
dave

Ditto here Newmarket area.

Must have been a big crunch somewhere.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Very good description, much the same heard here - West Norfolk

Reply to
dom

I didn't hear anything, but I was asleep for the start of it, felt a strong periodic vertical shaking through the bed, between 1 and 2Hz I'd say.

The previous one I felt, I did hear hear it, sounded like a skip of bricks being dropped onto concrete followed by the windows rattling like a bus was parked outside and piles of change vibrated on the cupboards.

Yes it definitely faded away

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , dave writes

did you DIY ?

did ... the earth move for you ?

Reply to
geoff

Didn't notice anything in Hampshire. I was still up at the time, maybe would have noticed it if I was in bed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

And here, 2 miles from The Wash in Lincs (near Spalding). It was VERY noticeable. I'm surprised that there is no discernible structural damage that I can detect. I really thought the house was about to collapse around me.

But what about hidden structures, like the drains? Or the water/heating pipework?

MM

Reply to
MM

There's not likely to be much relative movement between objects within a house, just the whole lot moving about as one, loose bits might drop off, but I don't think you need worry too much.

Reply to
Andy Burns

We are in Aberdeen, NE Scotland.

My wife asked me in the following evening if I could remember her getting up in the wee small hours of the previous night. ( I couldn't! She sleeps lightly, I sleep heavily! )

Aparently, her string of beads that lives draped over the free-standing full-length mirror began clanking off the mirror glass in the wee small hours, like there was a vibration in the house.

She got up and went downstairs, thinking the washing machine or dishwasher had failed to switch off or something. She could not feel any vibration herself. Finding nothing amiss, she came back up, but the beads were still clanking! She removed the beads and went back to bed.

Following day, we hear of the earthquake. We're 99% sure this was the cause.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Hmm - not too sure bout that. Strange things happen in Aberdeen ... :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher