OT - E10 petrol and oldish car

Friend has a 2000-Reg Renault Clio Grande RN. Renaults are OK from '98 on so this is on the cusp, as it could have been made a couple of years earlier. I have the Engine No. and Frame No. (is that the ID No?) and am wondering how to find out if it's OK.

Reply to
PeterC

Davey

Thanks, I'd already looked at that. Renault's site isn't any help - last time I looked e10 wasn't even mentioned. Nothing inside the fuel flap, manual is somewhere in the mists of time.

I was wrong on the date from which they're OK - it's '97, so a bit more leeway, but still a bit close to risk her car. Having seen cars parked in they're hundreds from new due to poor sales it's just possible that it's '97.

Reply to
PeterC

Have you tried RenaultForums.co.uk? When I had my Laguna, it was very, very helpful solving lots of problems.

Reply to
Davey

My car too is on the cusp. Built 1999, and Toyota say anything from '98 on is OK. But its engine was first built in 1985...

I've decided to treat it to super.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

On a car of that age, how much life has it got. I do not think myself from what I've read that it would make very much difference really. If there is an owners club for that model they might be able to tell you more about pinning down the year of manufacture. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes, had a look through those - lots on Laguna; not much on Clio. There might be a 4-letter code on the VIN on the B-pillar that can be cross-referenced with the manual, if we had the manual! I'll see if it's there and then get in touch with a main dealer.

Reply to
PeterC

Going (slightly) more OT on the subject of older vehicles, I have a 2004 Suzuki Carry that cost £2k about 12 years ago. Mentally, I had it valued as being worth no more than £300. On doing the insurance renewal, the broker went on Autotrader and found a couple of that age at £3500, and eBay has several at more than £2k.

Never thought of the Carry as being a classic vehicle, now accumulating in value.

That said, it's a very practical little van, off the market now of course because of emissions even though it is perfectly happy on E10.

Reply to
newshound

asda petrol has already gone to the new grade, if you use it listen for problems

Reply to
critcher

Our Morrison's is selling only E10, and the Tesco's half an hour away offers E10 or expensive Super Premium E5.

Reply to
Davey

Just an update: main dealer very helpful but had no more info. Said that the Clio sold so well the storage of new cars was unlikely. Renault UK replied to a form that had all the info that I could find and said that the car is OK on E10. Now we just hope that it is.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Reply to
PeterC