Leaking Car Petrol Tank

My wife's car has a leak from the flange where the top and bottom halves of the tank are presumably welded together. I had thought I might find a cheap way of getting it reconditioned but have had no luck. Second-hand ones have also been considered. Are any gunks or gunges practical? We minimise the leak by running with only a small quantity of petrol in the tank - my biggest concern is that the system doesn't pressurise as it should and as a result the petrol pump is having to work harder.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

You have to drop the tank and put Petseal or equivalent in it by running it around inside the seam, which will involve a bit of acrobatic work, but if it's just a seep from the seam Petseal will do the job.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Check first that the tank isn't generally corroded.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

after cleaning up the tank

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is good advice, I had one fall off just after i had filled up. It was being dragged along the road by the pipe work. The AA didn't worry too much when they towed me home after cutting the pipe.

Reply to
dennis

You could bodge it, but if it's a common car, find a replacement from a scrappers.

Alternatively buy Scotty some oxy-acetylene kit and tell him he is an expert on these things. Video it from a suitable distance. Make money from Youtube views, with the proceeds buy a new car.

Reply to
The Other Mike

The Other Mike wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The scrap yards are no longer cheap for things like this.Being quoted £90.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

But who grabbed the full tank and took it home?

Reply to
Davey

Are you sure this will resist petrol? If there is adequate access I would use PetroPatch

I've used the "paint + fabric" combination successfully in the past, but there's now an epoxy putty as well

newshound

BTDT, and some do... should say so on the label.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Dunno where you live, but I had mine repaired by a local firm in Croydon.

Not quite sure what you mean. The fuel rail is pressurized between pump and regulator if petrol injection. The tank, not. Unless the fuel level is so low it is not covering the outlet - but then it wouldn't run.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

yes.

If there is adequate access I

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tankslop is the answer. amazing stuff I have used it and it does what i...

Check out car restoration suppliers.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Can't find Tankslop at present but Frosts have this

seems to be the same. Forget the car body filler and go for this stuff. I have used it in a Land Rover tank which survived a hell of a lot of bouncing and banging around off road.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

POR15 is awesome stuff. Don't get it on you ...

Reply to
Huge

up" under them?..

Several gallons of petrol possibly leaking after a serious shunt?..

Reply to
tony sayer

ive seen several cars after a shunt where the metal had given way but the car body filler hadn't...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

When removing the filler cap it used to hiss air out. My own car also does this. I have experienced cars putting on a Engine Management Warning Light due to a loose filler cap. Wife's car has the Engine Management Light on all the time - possibly due to the tank problem.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Are you certain it didn't hiss air in?

The tank is sealed to prevent petrol fumes entering the atmosphere - part of emission control. But that's a different issue from the main pump.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

I think there is a return from the high pressure side of the fuel pump.

Reply to
DerbyBorn