OT: Dropped mobile phone in water

I doubt it, globalstar is a separate fleet of satellites from iridium.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Oh, do you live in a tunnel then? :-)

Reply to
Bod

Nah, just under a bridge.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes - I found that out yesterday. What a swizz as there is little coverage in southern Africa and elsewhere.

Simon Mason

Surgical spirits normally has castor oil in it so don't dunk a phone in it unless it needs lubricating. You might find things like the keypad stop working after a while as the castor oil insulates the rubber pads.

Washing in de mineralised water is generally safe after that putting it in a bag with some desiccant will dry it out. Rice will work if you don't have anything else.

Buy a water proof phone next time.

Reply to
dennis

I'll do that next time I plan on dropping it in the water jug. Thanks very much for the reminder.

Reply to
GB

I have rescued drowned phones before and an apple macbook air by the use of a fan oven at 50 degees C.

Reply to
bruce

A longer time at 40C bread proving temperature and the dry rice trick is about the best method. Depends how long the device was left on power after being dunked whether any corrosion has occurred. Any exposed thin copper traces can get eaten away fairly rapidly by electrolytic action.

My own trusty Nokia 6310 never recovered from its dunking in hard water.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Presumably now more rusty than trusty?

Reply to
Clive George

Catheter? :-)

Reply to
polygonum

No, I'd notice. As I did when I had one.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Don't do what a d*****ad i know did, put the bloody thing in the Microwave oven to dry it out complete with battery..

And.

He left it switched on;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Daft bugger.

Well, it couldn't make things any worse after microwaving.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I think someone tried to dry his pet in the microwave. Poor beast.

My wife's phone has resurrected nicely since being dried out in a jar of rice. I accept that air drying might be better, but this way kept all the bits in one place and we were travelling.

Reply to
GB

Oh, and thanks everyone for the help!

Reply to
GB

Many years ago I was working in Fiji and a Kiwi expat was on a diving trip one day, but while he was changing film on his Nikonos camera he dripped salt water from his hair onto the shutter blades.

He the dunked the camera in some clean water and shook it dry but in the local environment (V hot, vvv humid), it buggered it up. Cost Nz$600 for a new shutter mechanism.

Reply to
Andrew