OT: Don't try this at home folks

I stuck my nose into a tank of fermenting wort and filled my lungs with pure CO2.

I stopped breathing in that too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The propellants in aerosol cans used to be CFC's (Chloro-Fluorocarbons) until the Montreal Protocol phased them out in 1987 due to the effects on teh earth's ozone layer.

This also affected fire extinguishing systems for computer server rooms so now Montreal Protocol compliant HCFC's are now used (see

So these CFC's and HCFCs are clearly not flammable.

Coming back to aerosol cans, the previously not flammable propellant were replaced with butane or propane, both of which *are* flammable......

So the Montreal protocol has clearly led to unintended consequences and nominations for the Darwin awards (see

S.

Reply to
stephenten

2-8% of a nontoxic gas is normally harmless. It takes far higher concentration of a gas to drop the O2 to a hazardous level. You're not going to get oxygen depriving levels in a car unless the can burst.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Correct. The nasty thing about hydrogen is that its "explosive mixture" range is very wide. Fortunately its density makes it hard to contain in "ordinary" buildings.

Reply to
newshound

It doesn't require much overpressure to blow out a windscreen or buckle door panels.

Reply to
newshound