Microsoft Word in Windows 7, positioning of editing sub-window?

A pensioner friend nearby has Microsoft Word in Windows 7; I don't now use either.

He is concerned that the sub-window within which he used to write, which was in the centre of the Word window, is now at the left of the window. How can that be corrected?

He is also concerned that the default on-screen size of what he writes has become very small. The font control says Calibri 12; what he sees is more like what I would expect from a 6-point font. He's happy with a setting of Calibri 24 - but would not want the printer to write in a 24-point font. What might the explanation be (we were priority-interrupted before I could try Print Preview or the actual printer)?

Reply to
Dr S Lartius

IIRC slidey thing at bottom right sets page zoom.

Or View menu and Zoom, and set to single page view.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

depends what version of word, as a starting point from the Word menu, if that's hidden press and release ALT, try View > Normal

Maybe also View > Zoom > 100%

Reply to
Andy Burns

In every version of Word for Windows there is no "sub-window" as such. There is an area of the Window for the toolbars/ribbon. And possibly other areas to the left and right - eg for Search and Research) - which can be closed easily with the X top right.

Can you post a screen grab ("Print Screen") somewhere?

I agree with others that the first thing to check is the zoom.

Reply to
Robin

Depends on the version of office, now it only operates in SDI mode, but some older versions can operate in MDI mode.

Reply to
Andy Burns

His screen resolution is too great he has not examined the great magnifier in windows 7, which version of word has he got. Do you know that word XP still works on it? That always had a lower resolution and hence was much nicer for those who hate tiny writing. Also change the colour scheme for better contrast too, Windows offers this as well.

Its all in there if you look for it.

I'm assuming he has maximised the edit window, if that is stuck with a grey border around it, then go to the monitor res and set it much lower and you will notice the difference. Who has been playing with the settings? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Yep. My memory failure. Mea Culpa.

For the OP: it might be that a Word setting has been changed. Version of Word needed but in 2010 and I think 2007 it's in in Options > Advanced Options under Display as " "Show all windows in the taskbar".

Reply to
Robin

Older versions used to use a MDI (Multi Document Interface) as standard, but since 2010 it has defaulted to SDI. However on 2010, there is a (rather non intuitive) option for reverting to MDI if you want. See:

The control for this is in Options->Advanced ->

"Show all windows in the taskbar"

With that *off* you get a MDI interface, with multiple docs contained in a single parent window. (as demoed in the above screen shot)

Reply to
John Rumm

I E-mailed him a link to this thread, and he said that (1) he was very grateful for the helpfulness here, but (2) his son, familiar with the PC, had fixed it.

OT: Virgin Media appears to be off in much of SW London today, according to New Malden Twitter, because "A third-party has accidentally cut through a fibre optic cable".

Reply to
Dr S Lartius

Agree with much of the rest of the thread. There is *so* much that it could be. He really needs to sit down with a word expert who, I am sure, will have him back up and running in no time. Diagnosing even with remote access will be a PITA especially if you are not much of a user.

Word is infinitely adjustable but also potentially very confusing if you shift versions.

One thought, does he actually need word for compatibility with other people? And is he using what I think of as the more advanced functions (footnotes, endnotes, captions, styles, tables of contents? If not, he might be fine with one of the old Open Office type clones.

Reply to
newshound