Hello (again) but I have a question

Well, I am finally back, yes its been awhile but I finally got my new house complete with 3 car (err, I mean GREAT BIG workshop) garage. I went to Woodcraft and bought a mobility base for my table saw today and installed it. Though I have not yet had chance to use the saw as I am still putting it back together. My question is: How do these mobility bases fair? Are there any inherent problems with them. I did buy a better one , 4 corners with a

3/4 plywood for support. THe locks seem to work well enough. Anyway, I got the base installed on the saw and found a large open level spot on the floor and leveled the entire saw to that specific area. I figued that the best spot would be middle of the bay about 10 ft from the door.

Another question that I have : The garage IS heated, but with radiators that are supplied from the house oil boiler, problem is this is expensive ( went through 600.00 worth of oil in a month and a half). I do have a Volgesang Boxwood stove that I would like to use. Since this is also our garage and there will be fuel in the garage, will having this stove present a problem. I do also work on vehicles BUT nothing major. One friend mentioned that the fumes (if any) could be ignited by the stove when in operation. ANY THOUGHTS?

Searcher-

Reply to
Searcher

"Searcher" wrote in message = news:L%gvf.8678$gq4.1069@trndny04... | Well, I am finally back, yes its been awhile but I finally got my new = house=20 | complete with 3 car (err, I mean GREAT BIG workshop) garage. I went to =

| Woodcraft and bought a mobility base for my table saw today and = installed=20 | it. Though I have not yet had chance to use the saw as I am still = putting it=20 | back together. My question is: How do these mobility bases fair? Are = there=20 | any inherent problems with them. I did buy a better one , 4 corners = with a=20 | 3/4 plywood for support. THe locks seem to work well enough. Anyway, I = got=20 | the base installed on the saw and found a large open level spot on the = floor=20 | and leveled the entire saw to that specific area. I figued that the = best=20 | spot would be middle of the bay about 10 ft from the door. |=20 | Another question that I have : The garage IS heated, but with = radiators that=20 | are supplied from the house oil boiler, problem is this is expensive ( = went=20 | through 600.00 worth of oil in a month and a half). I do have a = Volgesang=20 | Boxwood stove that I would like to use. Since this is also our garage = and=20 | there will be fuel in the garage, will having this stove present a = problem.=20 | I do also work on vehicles BUT nothing major. One friend mentioned = that the=20 | fumes (if any) could be ignited by the stove when in operation. ANY=20 | THOUGHTS? |=20 |=20 | Searcher-=20 |=20 |=20

I had the same problem myself, and opted for a gas plasma unit mounted = at the ceiling.

Most utilities, by government regulations, require that any open flame = be at least 18 inches above floor level. With this in mind, mount your = stove at this height, vent the smoke outside, and happy trails.

--=20 PDQ

Reply to
PDQ

Gee, I used to actually park vehicles in my garage that has a water heater and gas drier with pilot lights. The house (and attached garage) are still standing after 34 years. Amazing!

I presume you aren't going to be leaving open cans of fuel lying around?

Dave

Reply to
David

No, your right, I am not going to be leaving open fuel cans or other flammables lying around. But the question posed to me was: What if your changing a fuel filter and gas does leak on the ground. I guess it would take alot of fumes to ignite and that would happen only if I am too stupid to open the garage doors to vent the place. I have seen several woodshops with wood stoves, so I am not really concerned about wood dust in the air causing an explosion.

Searcher

Reply to
Searcher

Take the same precautions as I would working around gasoline with a pilot light of a water heater nearby. AVOID IT! Working on the vehicle with the possibility of a leakage of fuel is a hazard, stove or no stove, if there's a source of ignition and not a huge amount of air exchange. Even with the door open, the fumes can build up from a modest spill of gasoline. I'd wait until the weather was nice enough to work in the driveway. changing a fuel filter shouldn't result in a puddle of gas . (I've changed filters literally hundreds of times, btw)

Dave

Reply to
David

Ah, the old "it works for me so it must be ok for everybody". We have had several fires in this community attributed to garage-based gas water heaters igniting gasoline vapor. Just because your garage hasn't burnt down doesn't mean it's safe, or a good idea.

You d> Gee, I used to actually park vehicles in my garage that has a water

Reply to
Mike Berger

oh, so a garage is not a good place to park a vehicle? LOL! I never said that a gas LEAKING vehicle, parked inside a garage, was a safe thing, NOW DID I? So 100 million people need to immediately remove their vehicles from their garages. You are too much!

Dave

Reply to
David

Now that I just have to question. I was in the fire service for a lot of years and *never* responded to a fire from this cause. You have had "several"? Bull. So... how much gasoline vapor was necessay? How big was the explosion - because you do know, right, that those fumes wouldn't just burn - they would explode.

You clearly don't have a clue about this Mike. What is the concentration of fume that your lawn mower will generate? Here's hint - you can leave the gas cap completely off the tank and not evaporate enough gas fast enough to cause a problem with a water heater or furnace.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

And that's why code requires the appliance with a pilot light to be 18" above the floor.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

It's the good old newgroup symptom. Thanks Mike Marlow for providing some real job experience to dispell some fear mongering.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

concentration of

Ouch, though. Just now re-reading my own comments above - they sound much harsher than I had intended. Another good old newsgroup symptom. Sometimes even when you read them through before sending the post, you don't catch everything. My apologies to the other Mike - I did not intend to come across so harsh. I do agree with George though about things in newsgroups taking on a life of their own though. It's kind of like the dust collector explosion thing...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Interesting point.

Here in New England, our furnaces and water heaters are typically in the basement. We worry about sawdust and fumes, but never hear of a problem.

In Florida, where construction is probably similar to Dave's area, every one of my relatives has a gas-fired furnace and water heater in the garage. The same garage contains cars, lawn mowers, weed wackers, dirt bikes, and 99 other gasoline powered devices.

Reply to
B a r r y

You clearly don't ahve a clue about this Mike. You can pull the starter cord on a lawnmower with a dirty carburetor and generate plenty of fuel vapor.

Remember, we're talk> You clearly don't have a clue about this Mike. What is the concentration of

Reply to
Mike Berger

Reply to
Mike Berger

Reply to
Mike Berger

Typical atheist -- I haven't seen it so it doesn't exist :-)

Ok, here are some citations for you:

Here's a quote from the US Consumer Products Safety Commission:

"Gas water heater ignition of flammable vapors is involved in nearly 800 residential fires, resulting in an average of five deaths and 130 injuries annually, according to commission estimates."

Despite your experience, it appears to be more common than you think.

Mike Marlow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Berger

You are "out of gas" Mike.

Dave

Reply to
David

One of them is insulated and air conditioned.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I have a water heater in my garage as well but it is a sealed unit and gets it's combustion air form the outside and I would bet that most of theirs are of the same type.

Reply to
TBone

Where does it get its burn air?

Reply to