OT: Docking connectors query

Anyone know if the connectors on the bottom of an ipod are different to those on my Sony NW-A3000?

My car has a connector cable for 'mp3 player', but the plug on the end of the cable is wider than the socket on the NW-A3000. I've had a good look at the plug, and it's not just a case of protective shield over the contacts, the whole thing is wider.

Reply to
The Wanderer

It's probably a fair bet that even if they fit mechanically, Apple will have made theirs so that no-one else's will work with it. I certainly wouldn't risk an ipod by plugging it into something that isn't intended to take it!

Reply to
mick

I suspect your choice will come down to using a 3.5mm jack-jack cable to connect it to the car stereo. That's assuming the car stereo actually has the wide flat iPod type connector on it? If it's a case of the car cable having a 3.5mm cylindrical jack and the NW-A3000 using a 2.5mm jack, then you can definitely get adapters or jack-jack cables to handle that.

An alternative on some car stereos is a pair of RCA jacks on the back for input - if you do have some watch out they aren't actually for amp or subwoofer *output* instead of audio input though...

Reply to
PCPaul