OT....Deer antics in our garden question

We are always getting deers in out garden during the night, but last night they somehow pulled up two flowers and left it undamaged next to where it dug it up, it's as if a human had dug them up very carefully. I have never known this to happen, how could they do this and why?

Out of curiosity, has anyone else experienced this?

Reply to
Bod

That's circumstantial evidence. Or it could be a plant. . .

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Plants don't usually uproot other plants .

Reply to
Roger Mills

Perhaps it was the old dears from next door?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably a bloody cat.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

In message , Phil L writes

Or possibly dug up by a Fox (lots of naive cubs about) if planted with bone meal.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well are you sure it was a deer, and not a fox? I found a complete garden light in my garden this morning, and nobody would throw one over the fence, so I suspect a fox took a fancy to it and brought it with them. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Circumstantial evidence. It might have stood there but something else dug it up. Do you have frogs? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

But the droppings were identical roundish small pellets in a circle, which I know is typical of deer. Fox poo is long also much thicker and

*very* smelly.
Reply to
Bod

No but some animals dig them up if they suspect there is a nice juicy worm or insect underneath them, Hedgehogs and birds do this as do all sorts of other creatures like voles and even some frogs apparently. Too much listening to nature programs. Its a wonder that the whole world is not full of mole hills and excavations by little critters. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

You obviously haven't seen our garden. And I looked out this morning, and a deer looked back at me.

Reply to
Davey

We get deer wandering around here regularly at night, so I know what deer droppings look like. Fox poo is totally different and much larger.

Reply to
Bod

A pile of deer droppings right beside the plant gives it away really. Haven't seen a frog in our garden for a few years.

Reply to
Bod

Ha, a few years ago we had mole mounds all over our lawns for a whole summer, they eventually moved on. One of our cats caught and killed one of em. Cute little creatures.

Reply to
Bod

Now you mention it, neither have I. The old bloke used to come around on his bike every year selling his onions... probably passed on by now :(

Reply to
Richard

Ho ho ho, how very droll ;-)

Reply to
Bod

In message , Bod writes

And has pointy ends.

I don't think anyone is disputing the Deer. Just the Deer digging:-)

You don't mention size but solitary Deer in gardens are usually Muntjac. (small) We have an occasional visit. They like Violets and Crocus in spring. Something munched the hearts out of some miniature lettuce recently but there are also Pigeons and over friendly French Partridge.

Reply to
Tim Lamb