OT: David Bishop virus update 4

Hi All,

Now that we can relax a tiny bit because our nation is finally getting its act together (case rate going up quickly due to better testing and drive-thru test sites popping up all over), you may have time to watch this 1 1/2 hr interview with Michael Osterholm, an outstanding virus detective from the University of Minnesota.

Warning, please ignore the unfortunate devil-worship-like logo that pops up first for the interviewer?s blog site - the content of the video is great.

He clearly summarises all I have been sending everyone and more.  It helps put things in perspective and is focused on what our priorities should be right now and in the future. It may seem a little slow in parts, but I encourage you to be attentive.  Just stop and come back later if other things intervene.

Here is the link:

I can?t control the ad which may run before the video starts, but you can usually skip after 5 seconds.

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognised expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota.

The link for CIDRAP, mentioned in the video is:

-David Bishop

Reply to
Tim Streater

Great link. Thanks.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I was under the impression that once in the wild testing did very little to contain the virus. The wording of the WHO appeal about testing appears to be that they need more verified information about numbers (based on testing) so that they can analyse the data some time in the future and make recommendations for any similar event.

Reply to
alan_m

That is it exactly which is why we aare, in effect all going to be part of a big experiment. I bet papers will be written for years on the psychology of people en masse, and what to do to stop being overwhelmed in helth services. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)