OT; Cwedit Cwunch?

I think Andrew (and I) were making the point that we didn't choose to live miles from work.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I expect to be able to drive on the roads I pay for, not "anywhere".

Are you constructing strawmen?

Reply to
Steve Firth

PT is a valid option for many journeys - if I worked anything like normal office hours in any of the major cities by me then it`s a perfectly good option. unfortunately I work shifts, so for me public transport simply doesn`t work, and it would cost far too muc to have public transport that would be suited for my needs at the moment (when I start my new job next month then it`s much more likely to be an option). But you don`t need to get ervyone off the roads, only a fairly small amount would make a big difference to journey reliability.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

You personally pay for every road in the land?

I was just wondering where in London isn't within walking distance of a bus route.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It seems entirely appropriate to live reasonably close to where you choose to work.

If you're in the position of complaining about how far you have to travel to work then you're clearly unsuited to that particular job.

Simple.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Eel pie Island? ;-)

Depends on your definition of 'walking distance'

When I lived in London, I on occasion walked 5-6 miles across it to get home in the wee small hours. No busses or taxis to be seen..and few underground trains.

Its a matter of time. In priciple a 12 mile walk is perfectly *possible*.

However, consider how you are going to get stuff HOME aftewards...

I rememeber walking less than a mile to buy a Christmas tree, ..a 9ft tall Blue Spruce - and then carrying it to someone's home in the pouring rain..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A few minutes walk to a bus route.

A mile or so?

Plenty of night buses these days. Very entertaining passengers too, usually. ;-)

So every car journey involves carrying things too large for PT?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"You could perhaps have taken that into account when buying your place."

Reply to
Huge

You certainly are. Are you Duhg?

Reply to
Huge

It's zero. No-one makes an unecessary journey, ever. The fact that *you* think their journeys are unecessary is *your* problem.

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
Steve Firth

I pay for my use of those roads. Indeed it's arguable that I pay many times more than the use I make of those roads.

Were you? How interesting.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You've seen Walmart, yes?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I doubt anyone predicted the rise in commuting since I bought this place. Fuel prices, yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because he's not lying (if he is, please cite) and because I'm not so shallow as to think that his girth makes any difference.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ah. Another Humpty Dumpty.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But isn't that the point, the difference between PT run as a service and PT run for profit, in the former the routes that make money offset those that do not, in the latter those routes that don't make money get axed - they then don't feed into those routes that do make money, one is not going to drive their cars into town and then catch either bus or train for the rest of the journey, people will just drive all the way...

Reply to
Jerry

No, another pointless argument. We didn't evolve to use cars so *no* journeys are necessary (we just used to die naturally if we couldn't get to hospital etc) [holidays aren't necessary, entertainment is not necessary etc] OR we choose to do something with the car and pay for it so all journeys are necessary (or we wouldn't be paying for them). Neither side will convince the other. The bane of usenet :o(

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Unfortunately that is not going to happen these days for various reasons, some more obvious than others.

Reply to
Jerry

Since you've deleted all the context, I'm disinclined to answer this, but Walmart stopped selling guns over a year ago, and they never were a "gun shop".

Reply to
Huge