[OT]Cross-cut shredder

I have a TEXET CC11N A4 (5 sheets max at a time) bought from Wilko's around £15 IIRC, seems to work OK.

Ash Burton

I have a Fellowes P-48C, currently 40-odd quid. Does about ten sheets at a time I think. Good safety lock and big bin.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have a Fellowes DS1 which I am happy with. Gets oiled from time to time.

Reply to
Allan

The one from Aldidl works well and, as a bonus, doesn't need oil*

Beware of the claim for the no. of sheets - this is 10 but, judging by the on-load sound, would be stressed at 5. I never do more than 2 at a time.

*No mention of oil in the FM.
Reply to
PeterC

I have one too, it is happier with about 7 sheets. Try to feed the sheets in square, if they end up at an angle and "folding" at the edge you get a buildup of paper debris wrapped round the shaft at the end of the cutters, and this will eventually slow it down or seize it, then you need to pick it out with pointy tools. I keep a tin of cheap penetrating lube spray next to it, and spray a full width band across a sheet from time to time before feeding it, which seems to me to keep it running happily.

It is surprising how quickly the bin fills up.

Reply to
newshound

All the brands have plastic gears, or a mix of plastic & metal. If you go a nywhere near the max sheet rating the gears get eaten up in short time. If not, expect a year or 2. If you want a shredder to survive you need all met al gears.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've got a P-48C as well. I've only had it a few months so can't comment on durability, but it's heavy and makes an impressive noise. It only shows signs of labouring when asked to shred more than about 5 sheets at a time. It munched through a dustbin bag full of bank statements I had accumulated in a couple of hours.

Reply to
FullyDetached

I would recommend regular oiling though. I got a bottle of Fellowes oil for a previous shredder and it lasted ages.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've broken a few :( Getting close to the maximum sheet rating or not feeding sheets in square and them crumpling up eventually does them in. A gear will break/strip teeth.

I would recommend going for a 10+ sheet rating but only putting through half this amount. As others have said if the sheets get stuck spray oil them and leave for half an hour for the oil to weaken the paper before attempting to operate the shredder again.

A large collecting bin comes in handy.

My current shredder came from Ebay for around £25 as a "refurbished as new" with a considerable saving over the new price.

I shed all bank statements etc. and a lot of the junk mail that comes through my letter box. It then all goes on the compost heap.

Reply to
alan_m

The problem is there is so much badge engineering and changes in model umber going on right now, this weeks reliable make could be next weeks turkey. I guess you have to decide how much shredding you do and how many sheet at a time therer are going to be. I'd like to suggest that ease of safely getting to the sensor and mechanism in asafe way is a good idea if you are shredding a lot of stuff, otherwise life gets mega fustrating. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

That's why I mentioned the precise model. It's still sold.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've got a Acco Rexel V25, has lasted well over a decade, probably not high-security by modern standards (approx 4cmx4mm strips) says 5 sheet capacity and 1 min on/5 min off duty ratio (has been abused more on the latter than the former) has 7 metal and 1 large helical plastic gears, no signs of them stripping.

Reply to
Andy Burns