OT: Compact cameras

I know it's horses for courses, and equipment differs, but my first digital camera used AAs, and it ate them by the package. When it died, and I got my current one, with a rechargeable, smaller, flat battery, it was like emerging from under a heavy tarpaulin, suddenly I had staying power! But I am talking about the low end of the market.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

The Powershot A1200 has an optical viewfinder, and is about £50 at Jessops. Excellent little camara.

Reply to
Zapp Brannigan

I'm using a Fujifilm Finepix s1500 Bridge Camera which takes 4 AA size cells. I reckon I get about fifty 10Mp photos out of a set of freshly charged cheapo NiMh cells and about 400 photos from a set of Duracells.

Incidentally a propos the enquiry in the OP the Fujifim is not a compact - it's a bit bigger than that but it does have a rather nice electronic viewfinder. I can't see the detail on the rear screen unless I change my distance glasses for my reading glasses but I can focus on the viewfinder image in my distance glasses - which is a positive benefit IMO.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Precisely - I prefer AA cells as it's easy to carry a little pack of 4, they'll still be useful after a year or more and will be OK for 200+ shots per pair - more if flash isn't used.

Reply to
PeterC

Just helps prove that the first camera, a Canon A300, was pretty darned useless. It's failure, and therefore its replacement, was the best thing that happened to it.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

I've got a Fuji S1800 which has an excellent zoom thereon and is very useful for work. I've been using it with these from RS

do very well 'tho as with all rechargeable's they do tend to fall over suddenly and therefore we carry a backup set of Alkyl's but they do seem very good value for money.

Never checked the number of pix on one charge but it does seem rather good..

Reply to
tony sayer

Every digital camera I have had got more pictures from a set of rechargeables than from duracells (alkaline ones, I have some nicd ones). IME duracells just can't handle the drain the camera can put on them.

Reply to
dennis

That would make sense. The rechargeables I use are low-capacity pound-shop ones and an eight-to-one performance ratio shows pretty poor capacity from the supposedly high rated Duracells.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I used to think that before I got a modernish camera with a li-ion battery. That can take way more photos than I can be bothered with in two weeks, and if I'm really paranoid a spare battery is pretty small too.

Reply to
Clive George

You'd get a couple of hundred on a set of eneloops, plus you could leave them in the camera for weeks and not worry about self discharge. Cheap NiMh are crap, take them out of the charger, put them in the camera and travel 50 miles by a very fast car and the capacity is down to 50% (or it seems like it)

Reply to
The Other Mike

That's what forced me to go the Eneloop route - I'd carried a spare Fujicam in the glovebox and sometimes when I'd get it out, the batteries would be flat, and on one occasion the spares were flat too. This was while trying to make sure the batteries were charged and changed every two months, three months max - still got caught out. Since changing to Eneloops (and similar Vapex from

the problem went away.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

OTOH I found that decent conventional NiMh batteries worked well for me on a Canon Powershot.

Reply to
Mark

Iwt a lot depends on the current demand of the camera. Borderline NiMhs cacked out on start-up but they might not have in another cam.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Just an observation here: Many years ago, I was given a vacuum cleaner for PC Keyboards, powered by one Duracell AA. I used it a couple of times, and then put it to one side, with the battery still in it. The other day, I dug it out of its hiding place, and it still worked. The battery in it has a Best-before date of 2008, so is quite old, but still has power, and runs the pump. I know there was no drain while it wasn't doing anything, but that, to me, is not bad going. I can't imagine other normal batteries staying alive that long without exuding all sorts of nasty chemicals.

Reply to
Davey