OT: Coffee grinders

[Since I'm in the neighbourhood, and people in this group know almost everything...]

I've been given a very large bag of coffee beans. I have a cheap, old electric grinder, but ideally I'd like one which can easily grade the grind, suitable for an espresso maker, or for an ordinary cafetiere, etc.

Any recommendations (without breaking the bank)?

John

Reply to
Another John

I had the impression that to some extent one could achieve a coarse grind by running a grinder briefly, and the longer you run it the finer the result is.

But I think I've only used the sort that has a couple if knive-like blades sticking up into a cavity into which you drop beans the put on the lid and press a button.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Another John presented the following explanation :

Our grinder has push buttons to select the grind level. The only difference is the time it spends grinding the beans.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

115mm and 230mm?
Reply to
Sam Plusnet

This is the one most of my family have got:

It seems excellent, but not sure how fine the finest grind is, I usually have it in the middle somewhere.

I think this model has been replaced with a new one, probably just to modernize it:

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I have a Gaggia MM model .... had it over 15 years, they last for ever. Whatever you buy make sure it is a burr grinder .... only way to get consistent grind. The type that has a spinning blade maybe OK for herbs or liquids - no good for coffee.

Selection of makes here:

sure you will find a 2nd one on fleabay

Reply to
Rick Hughes

How much noise does it make?

A critical issue for us!

Reply to
polygonum

use an egg timer. Or learn to count The longer you grind the and the less beans in the finer it is.

Or, radical concept, open the top, and if it looks to coarse, give it another short burst.

Or dd you wnat the expensive planned obsolesecent designed for idiots who can't count and dont think italian model?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Another John wrote on Oct 16, 2013:

For best results you need a burr grinder which essentially crushes the beans, producing a uniform particle size. The cheapo blade grinders tend to produce a mixture ranging from fine dust to coarse particles (and apparently lose a lot of the aroma due to the high speed shattering of the beans).

I have a KitchenAid burr grinder. It has 15 levels of grind - from very coarse to espresso. It's built like a battleship (no nasty plastic bits) and will certainly last my lifetime (probably my daughter's as well!). The grinding burrs are stainless steel and replaceable - according to the manual should last for 300kg of beans (about

30 years at my quite high rate of consumption!)

I don't know about breaking the bank though, it's about £150 from Amazon. Depends on your bank I suppose :-)

Reply to
Mike Lane

Its not exactly quiet, but you can hold a conversation whilst it is in operation. Are you a stealth coffee drinker ? I don't think it would wake up the kids. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I have a spinning blade Bosch grinder - over 40 years old and excellent.

Reply to
RJH

No - not stealth coffee drinkers! :-)

There's only the two of us in a small house. And both of us have become quite intolerant of some noises - coffee grinders being among those sounds that can grate. (Ho, ho.)

Reply to
polygonum

OP here: thanks *very* much chaps: very useful comments here. Having read them all, I've decided to stick with my cheap old one, which looks very like the cheaper end of things on Amazon.

With the Krups one, at first I was impressed by the expression "twin blades", but then I realised that it's simply one blade, divided in half by the shaft -- like mine! Hence, coupled with the people who said "just grind longer, if you want it finer", my decision to stick with what I've got.

HOWEVER: I have friends who, unlike this coarse-grained slurper, are definite coffee connoisseurs, but who don't yet have a grinder (they get it ground fresh at the shop). I've passed all the good advice on to them: thanks again.

John

Reply to
Another John