OT: Chinese Import Tax, why not?

Which doesn't make it go away ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I made one post on face book and simply didn't bother. Everybody wanted to be on it because everybody wanted to be on it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What are those strange things you tell of, which you call 'ads'? Do tell us more.

Reply to
Theo

I have no idea. *I* don't tell of them...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

being (a) a nerd and (b) charged with IT strategy for a large portion of the 21st century, I have had cause to look into such things as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Bitcoin, Telematics, Autonomous cars, IoT, and a whose host of futuramas that IBM Hursley have plugged over the years.

It always amuses me that the demo Facebook and LinkedIn accounts I set up over 10 years ago are not only still active, but appear to have a life of their own. Or so the emails I get to my personal spamtrap tell me.

It's not all bad. My £10 bitcoin purchase from the early days is worth around £800 and that's after I have spent £400 of it over the years.

Anyway having a Facebook profile prevents anyone else from being me, and also means I get to see how various friends, friends of friends, and their families are doing around the world.

They key point to remember is you don't ever need to post on Facebook to have an account.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Facebook is a place where people with nothing worth saying go to prove it.

Reply to
Bob Henson

True, but also it has some benefits with local facebook groups in that it can spread local information, help when someone requires a recommended tradesman etc.

Reply to
alan_m

No they aren't. The other operations that preceeded them are still advertising there.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Dont get that on facebook.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I had a look when our Olive grower took a bunch of d-i-yers there. Decided they wanted too much personal information and dropped out. Demon is long dead and we have moved house so I think I am safe:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Optional information. Most clued up people leave all their personal details blank.

Reply to
alan_m

Mindless bullshit, most obviously the the buy swap sell groups which leave the alternatives for dead.

Also true of the information groups which list upcoming swap meets, yard/car boot sales etc

Reply to
Rod Speed

I think that is almost poetry...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How do you get on F*c*book without registering?

Reply to
Bob Henson

You have to register, but that doesn't mean you need to supply your inside leg measurement just because they ask you to.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You mean that someone could tell untruths? Surely everyone on F*c*book is totally honest? Otherwise there would be no point in reading it.

Reply to
Bob Henson

I think it might be Facebook I told I was born on 1/1/1900. Or it might have been 6/6/1945. I don't feel that they have any need to know my real birthdate.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

There isn't any point in reading it. The UI is rubbish anyway.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I told the BBC I was a disabled afro caribbean woman born in 1970 and living in Milton Keynes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher