OT: Changing a Postcode

Glasgow. At least we have the same system (except Royal Mail is 3/2 and council is 3-2).

Reply to
Scott

Well this seems to happen a lot particularly with the new add on culture in planning developments I see, so there has to be a way. I know somebody down my road had an issue as they were living in a house built on a patche of spare land formerly in one road but the entrance was in another. It seemed to involve a lot of council messing about, and cannot recall who the agency is they used to contact to progress it. It took around

3 years. Up till then numerous neighbours had deliveries sent to them since the apparent one they quoted was on the wrong road as you say. After all when they build new estates somebody has to allocate post codes to them. Some success was achieved by not quoting the post code just a house number and road though, but that relies on sensible Royal Mail staff. grin. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

If most are letters and small packages is there not some kind of keepsafe you could install at the old address which you could pop out and empty, on which you should have a sign, for signatures and larger deliveries, go to and put the new address

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Postcodes for new-build houses are not always correct. When I bought a new house in 2000, we were all given the postcode of the development. And mail started going astray or taking ages to arrive. It turned out that the builder's sales office had given us an incorrect postcode, though I'm not sure whether it was their mistake or the Royal Mail's: OX14 5xx instead of OX14 4xx. I remember the hassle of contacting everyone to whom I'd given a new address to get the postcode corrected.

At my previous house, the Royal Mail changed the postcode twice: once from RG12 3xx to RG12 0xx (same xx) , and then after I'd left, from RG12 0xx to RG42 0xx. That was for an estate that had been built about five years before I bought the house.

Reply to
NY

I bought my house, on a 1930s built estate. Three weeks after I moved in, I'd notified everyone of my new address and the Post-Office then advised that they were changing the postcodes of the whole area.

Reply to
Steve Walker

We must have been fairly close - they moved us from RG12 3xx to RG12 9xx.

Nowhere near now, though - we've escaped Bracknell, even though it took

25 years.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

You should be happy.

If you want to experience hell on earth, take a train east out of Liverpool street along the thames estuary.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I lived in Forest Park, by the little "lake". Escaped in 2000. I was lucky that I was right on the edge of town: about 2 minutes from my front door I could be walking in the forest towards Ascot. I remember hearing lots of "rifle shots" on the night of the Great Storm in 1987 and when I went to work in the morning, some of the trees along the "main road" (between the Bagshot and Ascot roads) were still standing but with their trunks displaced a couple of feet sideways from their roots: they had blown "over" but were so closely spaced that they couldn't fall to the ground.

Reply to
NY

I was flying in from the US that night, and we knew nothing about the storm, but our bags were delayed by an hour, with no explanation. It was only when I was in the minibus to the car hire place that I heard anything about bad weather, and by then, the sun was shining. I drove uneventfully around the M25 to Epping, having seen no signs of damage, and it was only when I pulled into my destination street that I found a large oak tree blocking my path. Near some friends' place in Suffolk, a whole line of trees were all chopped off several feet above ground, as though a giant scythe had passed by.

Reply to
Davey

My wife was living on a farm in Herefordshire at the time (this is long before we met) and she didn't have a radio or TV at the time to hear/see news reports of the aftermath. Given that the storm didn't affect that far west, the first she knew of the damage was a few days later when someone happened to mention it as something that had happened "elsewhere"; by then all the dramatic footage of felled trees, damage to buildings etc was no longer being shown on the news.

I was on the 10th floor of a 10-storey office block during the *1989* gale (the one that was during the day) and that was frightening: metal windows were banging uncontrollably in metal frames and one came loose and smashed. The whole building felt as if it was swaying. A single-brick-thickness wall about 10 feet high was blown over onto someone's car: it would have been a colleague's car because it was the disabled space next to the loading bay, but when he had got back from lunch someone else was parked there so he had to park elsewhere, so his own car survived. That wall was rebuilt with two thicknesses of bricks and occasional through-bricks to make it a lot more substantial!

Reply to
NY

Well at least it isn't Royal Mail 3/2 and Council 2-3 :-)

Reply to
Andrew

They were some form of coniferous tree - maybe spruce or pine. It was certainly noticeable all along where the edge of the forest was beside a road and where there were houses or occasional trees. I'm not sure how far into the dense part of the forest the trees were snapped like that. Probably not very far. It was interesting that few of the sparsely-planted trees around the lake were snapped or blown over / uprooted, compared with the ones which *looked* a similar species that were in the forest a few hundred yards away. I wish I'd taken a photograph.

Reply to
NY

No he didn't, he mentioned Royal Mail who own and maintain the Postcode Address File and secondly it isn't the underlying identification of every property in the UK, it simply records which addresses mail can be delivered to. Updates are rolled out to businesses who pay for it at a frequency dependent on the amount they pay and the level of the data. Land Registry have records for every property in the UK.

Reply to
Biggles

Anyone can download a copy of the PAF free of charge. I did it when I noticed that Google located the "centre" of our postcode a long way from any of the houses on the street that have been allocated that postcode. The error was about 300 metres as the crow flies but about 2 km by road because of the need to go along to a bridge over a stream and then back along a parallel road on the other side.

The PAF was correct: the OS grid reference associated with that postcode was half-way along our road. The road that Google pointed to had its own postcode. It was Google that had got it wrong. They eventually fixed it - which is good because couriers were getting lost if they used Google rather than a PAF-generated location.

Reply to
NY

In my personal experience, Google has very little accuracy with regards to its Postcode locations. It ranks right up there with TomTom's driving directions, which used to direct lorry drivers to take a sharp turn that even large cars need to take two bites at. We used to hear big engines outside, and look up to see large radiator grilles outside the living room window.

Reply to
Davey

I think you are confusing the PAF, which you have to pay for, with the OS file, which is free to download but which only contains postcodes and geo data such as grid coordinates. PAF is tightly controlled by Royal Mail, they don't maintain the mapping of postcodes to grid refs, OS do that.

Reply to
Biggles

We were a few hundred yards south of Savernake Park then.

I recall my wife saying to me "Do you think your boat will be all right?" (I race a sailing dinghy, and it usually lives at the club)

I looked at her, stood up, opened the door into the integral garage and said "It looks OK to me".

Only then did she remember I was in the middle of painting it :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris