OT: Car insurance for youths

On Sunday, November 2, 2014 8:48:12 AM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

I know a 18 year old who bought a vw beetle, an old one that does not need tax and it was insured in his name for £500. I have read of another tactic. Buy a moped at age 16, insure it in childs n ame, and lock it in a shed.By the time they pass the test they have two yea rs no-claims. Where i read it it stated that virgin among others accepted t his.
On 02/11/2014 08:48, Tim Watts wrote:

That's more than 10 times what I pay. But if it were down to demonstrable risk then mine would be less and that of a 17 year old would be more. As it is you can only get a discount for about 9 years of no accidents so the previous 20+ years mean nothing.
I think it would be much better if it were accident free miles rather than claim free years so those of us that have driven millions of miles get some financial benefit from the experience.
Sounds like daylight robbery to me. Tried Direct Line have we?
I had a dream last night based on this thread. The dream was basically that everyone now had personal airships rather than cars. the premise being that the skies are bigger than roads, there are no junctions etc, to cause delays, so the fact they only poodle along at 30 miles an hour is of no consequence. However as I now realise in the daytime, there are a number of snags.
1. Wind is not good for airships. 2. Filling up with petrol could be a challenge. 3. Helium tends to leak, and the world has a shortage of it. 4. a mishap over a built up area might injure more than the pilots and passengers. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"R D S" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Nov 2014 08:13:29 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Indeed. What if you're going to an event of some kind, and the parking has been moved due to being overfull or weather or some other reason? A human driver can follow the instructions of the bloke in dayglo or a cardboard sign. What does the driverless car do?
Or what happens for remote properties where the postcode might resolve to a distance away from the actual destination?
Or where there's no mobile data signal to be able to download information?
There are a whole STACK of reasons to go...

I was quoted roughly that at the age of 22. Admittedly for a Mk2 Jag.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 14th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3180
"I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me that trouble of
On 02/11/14 10:12, Huge wrote:

You dad was going to let you near his Jag?
On 01/11/2014 15:31, R D S wrote:

Admiral multicar worked for us......with child as named driver on (third) vehicle. Under a grand extra. Strikingly lower than any other option.
David
On 02/11/2014 11:25, Vortex11 wrote:

I thought that having the policy in sons name and having mum and dad as named drivers it lowered the cost by increasing the "average" age of the driver(s)
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/named-driver/ Has some good general advice
On 02/11/2014 11:25, Vortex11 wrote:

Who did the most driving on that third vehicle? Looks suspiciously like fronting, which they don't like.

Those who continually have accidents will find themselves unable to get insurance. You can't (and should be able to) insure against a certainty.

They're not so-called experts, Brian, they're actual experts. In fact these people have always existed. How else do you think an insurance company avoids going bust? It has to - and has always had to - quantify the risk it's insuring. How else can it set a premium?
It's quite right that the premium should depend on the risk; otherwise the rest of us are subsidising that insured person. If that means that the young male driver gets a high premium, why is anyone surprised, any more than for a house on the flood plain.
Any statement by the Govt that they will force the nasty insurance companies to lower their premiums for houses on the flood plain, that's just cock. They merely forcing the rest of us to pay for it.
And as with any subsidy, that's a dangerous distortion of the market, as it just encourages *more* houses to be built in flood-prone areas.
--
"If you're not able to ask questions and deal with the answers without feeling
that someone has called your intelligence or competence into question, don't

He didn't have a Jag. A mate was giving it away.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 14th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3180
"I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me that trouble of
On 02/11/14 14:45, Huge wrote:

Wow... Amazing mates you had!

Don't get too excited. It was a heap and wouldn't have passed its next MOT. I was going to run it until the MOT ran out, then throw it away. But the cost of insurance put a stop to that.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 15th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3180
"I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me that trouble of

My apologies, haven't read the rest of this thread 'cos I don't have the time, and my own two sons passed their tests a dozen years ago (and one of them is now a bike cop :-) )
Anyway: my mate's daughter just passed her test, and they have had a "black box" fitted in the car she drives which monitors distance, speeds, etc. This reduced the premium from a ludicrous couple of thousands pounds down to a "very reasonable" £800 pounds. [1]
HTH, and hasn't been mentioned before!
John
[1] The quotes are mine: the old double-glazing trick of quoting a ridiculous price, then working it down to the price they were originally hoping for ...
On 01/11/2014 15:31, R D S wrote:

Not far off what mine would be without the NCD. Mind you, I don't suppose you are looking at fully comp on a fairly fast car or including features such as chauffeur recovery from anywhere in the EU, should the driver become incapacitated. :-)
--
Colin Bignell