OT: Capturing YouTube videos

Some unix programs do rely on conventions about file name extensions, e.g.

I've no idea which, if any, flash video players do.)

(And I was about to suggest that Ian Jackson is likely to be well aware of what Ubuntu does and doesn't do, but there's more than one Ian Jackson. I'm used to seeing this one:

Alan Braggins

caused confusion on one or two occasions).

This IJ was getting reasonably au fait with basic UNIX, until around

2002. However, I haven't used it since, and have forgotten most of the little I knew. I was certainly unaware that it didn't (want to) know about .flv extensions. To me, all computing is a dark mystery!
Reply to
Ian Jackson

Real Player and Real Trimmer seems to work. I have only tried it once to edit a video but plenty of times to download YouTube videos.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

cheers

NT

Reply to
Tabby

> **Just don't let in install the toolbar on install.**

Reply to
Pete Zahut

You don't see the garbage left in there by the bugs if you only view it with windows explorer. it's actually divided into several sub-directories and the cookies you see in there when using explorer are not there at all, they're really in their own directory somewhere else.

Reply to
Brian Gregory [UK]

How does it know what program to use to play it when you click on it then?

Reply to
Brian Gregory [UK]

gunzip (GNU unzip) being one of them -- try to gunzip a gzipped file which does not have the .gz suffix, and it gets upset.

Reply to
J G Miller

That all depends on what you mean by "it" and upon what you are clicking.

When you use a mouse to click on an iconized representation of a file, you are not in fact clicking on the file but a symbol being portrayed by another program.

So maybe the question you are really asking is, when you click on an icon in a file manager eg Nautilus, how does Nautilus decide which program to invoke in response to that click. And the answer could be one of two or more possibilities. It uses custom file suffix bindins or the /etc/mailcap bindings for the particular file suffix which is what you were expecting to hear, or there is another possibility requiring a lot more programming effort, and that would be to use file magic as defined in /usr/share/file/magic

Reply to
J G Miller

/tmp probably

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , "Brian Gregory [UK]" writes

You mean they somewhere which is not in the Temporary Internet Files directory?

I run CCleaner once in a while, and also do a Windows Disk Cleanup. However, I've noticed that I'm still left with some stuff in the Temporary Internet Files directory. But will CC be finding and deleting the other rubbish?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I don't know if CCleaner will find those, but I use it last after ClearProg (with a few custom bits in):

Free Window Sweeper (also modded):
CCleaner Portable with CCEnhancer:
adds more programmes to CCleaner.

Reply to
PeterC

Thanks. I'll have a look. While I'm a great believer in "If it ain't broke... etc", there's no point in allowing things to get unnecessarily clogged up with rubbish.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Huge