OT Britain's electricity supplies at risk due to closure of coal-fired generators

Just as if you disclose the surveillance techniques used by the security services.

Reply to
bert

Or the retired Air Marshall carefully explaining that the reason Argentinean bombs were hitting our ships but not exploding was that the fuses would still be set for high level bombing whereas they were now going in at low level.

Reply to
bert

The point is that if someone is looking for the door they will find it.

Reply to
dennis

No, he didnt

He's not a muslim opr a green

He didn't degrade any infrastructure And hes dead. Perhaps you missed that?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sigh. I do wonder sometimes. Why would they look for a door that they don't even know exists?

Unless they are my ex wife of course. Show her a white wall, and she would assume you had painted over something you didn't want her top see. Paranoid delusions are ...different.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Simmy Jacks

So there are no zero day exploits as no one looks?

But did you paint over stuff so she couldn't see it?

Reply to
dennis

usual total non sequitur.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As were the cameras.

Never tried the sunglasses though, so I can't comment on those.

michael adams

michael adams

I was quite pleased to see the exclusive use of IPX for my LAN as a means of stopping internet attacks dead in the water actually had a name, "Security through obsolescence". :-)

This harked back to the days of win95osr2 ('96/7) and a second hand

300MB Novell NW3.11 server box connected to a cheapernet bussed LAN. Of course, this was well and truly spoiled when I finally upgraded the server OS to Debian in order to break the "By Design - regardless of the network speed upgrade" 1MB/s speed limit Novell had built into NW3.11 and was forced to give up the IPX/SPX protocol in favour of the internet one (TCP/IP) for *both* sides of my dial up internet gateway connection.

Of course, installing a firewall appliance (initially a dedicated PC running Debian set up by my now SiL with a couple of NICs) provided an effective solution. This was followed by a Belkin (Spit!) router, after I began to suspect the possibility that the Debian box may have become 'rooted' (also, I wanted to replace a 42 watt appliance with a sub-10W unit).

The Belkin router was returned as "unfit for purpose" when I realised that port 80 (or was it port 8080?) couldn't be disabled (the disable the manage via the WAN option on its own wasn't quite good enough imo) and was swiftly replaced by a much better (security-wise) no-name branded unit. I've gone through a few other routers since then before finally landing up with a VM Superhub II with its built in 4 port Gbit switch.

Reply to
Johnny B Good