OT: Breadmakers.

<snip>

I think we just about waited ten minutes last night. I initially gave us just a buttered slice each, then we had to have more. ;-)

So, this 3rd loaf (the first of a 'fresh batch but a slightly different mix, Wright's 'Mixed Grain') with very similar results?

That is, a very consistent, fully baked (reasonable crust all round, nicely browned / crusty top), light inside (you have to be careful not to tear it if you are too heavy with the butter knife, especially when hot), tasty mini loaf?

This time I kneaded it for 5 not 2 mins and this time it did prove to fill the (2 x 1lb) tins but again, shrunk (by about 1/3rd this time) in the oven.

Now, an unknown is the actual temperature of the oven so I might need to check that but in general, when cooking frozen pies or baking other meals, they generally seem to come out right (cooked though / browned / not burned).

So whatever I'm doing wrong personally is consistently wrong or what I'm doing it with isn't suitable?

Like, the two tins I have look to be shallower than most I've seen on the net. They were leant to me by daughter and were inherited from her step-sister so we don't know what they were for, if not bread.

One is 200 mm (average, because of the taper), x 100 x 55 deep.

The second is 210 x 110 x 55mm.

They both look very similar to and seem a similar size / ratios as many sold on the Internet as bread / loaf tins so I don't think it's that ... and I've seen many 2lb tins of the same proportions?

I've seen the idea of Non-stick being frowned upon in some quarters but again ... ?

'This time' I think the water may have been a bit more than luke warm but that didn't seem to stop it rising to 'double the size' when proving?

The only thing I might have done wrong (Googling on it falling when baking specifically) is allowing it to prove a bit longer than I might if the mix contains a fast yeast ... but I was watching to see if it rose any more.

So, once we have eaten this last batch (shouldn't be long <weg>) I'm not sure what to try first with the next batch, remembering this is a mix so have little control over the grade or proportions of the ingredients?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

As an aside here (and this is only a very trivial example), I think it's funny how we use all these time / effort saving aids and then pay to run on a treadmill looking at a wall. ;-)

We had one when we first moved in here but only ever used it a few times then it went rusty of summat and we re-cycled it.

I don't think I've ever bought / cooked 'a roast / joint' because even when I was a meat eater, meat in that quantity always looked too much like a lump of actual animal. Same applies to a whole chicken / turkey etc.

I may have roast a Turkey when I did Xmyth and may have even been why I had the electric carving knife (I like my gadgets) but I have never really had that disconnect between 'meat' and the animal it once was.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It did seems like a bit of a daft plan. Setting a loaf running this morning, I noticed that ours has not only a setting for 'Jam' - but also one for 'Conserve'...

Now if if could bake a loaf and then make jam sandwiches - that'd be clever. I'm sure Wallace & Gromit could do it!

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Word to the wise. Do Not Try To Make Jam In You Breadmaker.

I tried it once. The result was less like a conserve, more like a consommé - and most of it ended up glued to the heating elements outside the pan.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Nick Odell snipped-for-privacy@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote

You haven't adjusted the time on your system for daylight saving stopping here, so your posts sit at the top of the list sorted by time for a couple of hours.

Reply to
Joshua Snow

<Grin> I like the idea of that.

Currently, down here in Autumn in the Southern Hemisphere we are making Dulce de Membrillo, a sort of solid loaf of Quince paste and sugar - without the aid of a breadmaker I hasten to add. Do not, I repeat do not follow the recipe from First Dog On The Moon -

(Final frame)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Then there must be some other reason your system time is so far out.

Reply to
Joshua Snow

There is quite a lot of Southern Hemisphere - at least 360deg x 180deg of it by my reckoning - and I am in a part of it that last used Daylight Saving Time in 2009.

Newsgroup quiz: Where am I?

For a chance to win a super prize, post your answer to uk.d-i-y with ARGENTINA COMPETITION in the subject line.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

You are absolutely correct. There is another reason.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell