OT: Blowing Up Tyres

The real problem with overtightening, particularly by fitting shops with air lines, is finding yourself on a dark wet roadside with a flat tyre and wheel nuts that you just can't shift.

Nick, who always goes to somewhere that checks the torque setting.

Reply to
Nick Atty

In message , TonyK writes

Probably not true as Nitrogen has a lower atomic weight than oxygen, meaning a smaller atom, therefore more likely to 'leak'. A helium filled balloon will deflate more in a given time than an air filled one for this very reason. I have no idea about the oxidation issue, but I'm of the opinion that it wouldn't be an issue, it would be a stupid manufacturer that made a tyre that was at risk of failure because oxygen was present.

Also done on formula one cars, the main reason AFAIK, is because nitrogen won't support water vapour, therefore, the tyre pressure is predictable for a given temperature and isn't dependant on the humidity present in the air at the time of inflation, less chance of a heat related blowout.

Nitrogen inflation of car tyres was first seen in Australia almost ten years ago targeted at the 'boy racers' and for your ten dollar 'inflation' you got a sticker for the rear window that said 'I've got the gas'. It's a marketing ploy, I'd be interested to know how much they charge.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

If the wheel was moving on the studs, surely you'd hear it? Or feel it? It's hardly likely to stay in this condition for long before becoming totally loose anyway.

IMHO, the most likely thing is the threads in the nut shear.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, but when people drive around with lethally worn CV joints that make an alarming sound when turning corners etc. (not to mention 'grabbing' the steering as the joint tries to lock up) the noise made by a loose wheel is nothing.....

Anyway, not everyone has your hearing Dave :~)

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Then let Darwin's law apply.

Pardon?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bloody speel chicker, it slipped that one past me. ;-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That happened to me once - I thought the drive shaft was trying to escape, so I was taking it easy when there was a bump and I lost traction going round a corner. Then some bloke walked up with a wheel in his hand and said "Is this yours?" The previous day I'd done some work on the brakes - then driven to work and back (including a bit of motorway). It finally gave up about a block from home, and I found the nuts a few hundred yards back down the road. I'm more careful about checking that I've torqued up the wheel nuts these days. :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Sorry, say that again...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

£4 per b****y tyre. Didn't even ask - just did it !!!
Reply to
Mike

Not on a Fiat !!!!! It's a bolt into the hub rather than a stud, but after several failures I got hubs bored and fitted with Ford studs.

Reply to
Mike

Reminds me of a cartoon strip (not sure which one) where daughter asks father to look at the odd noise coming from the car. Next pic shows him looking at car in drive with a wheelclamp still attached to front wheel.

Reply to
Mike

I might. You might. Howver the ability of cofnitive dissonace to mask almost every sound of compliant from a maltreated vehicle until the wheel actually falls off, is legendary.

Mmm. I suspect not actually. I have had more cases of bolts shering than nuts.

High tensile stids help of course...but...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher