OT beetroot juice

If you don't love garlic, slicing it thin & distributing it over a piece of buttered bread helps hugely. Chew it properly before swallowing for best allicin production.

Beetroot plus lettuce is a combination that surprisingly improves its taste, and yes you can use lettuce in soups.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I think I might switch to celery instead. That I quite like, although my sons can't bear it. Who knows how these lifelong aversions come about

Reply to
Stuart Noble

They're an evolutionary survival tactic. If a food source turns bad, at least some will survive and the village/tribe continues.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I think it's more likely to be a defence tactic the body uses when it knows a certain food is bad for it. For someone else, that food will be good and doesn't taste awful to them.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Now that's what I need to hear. Doughnuts are good, broccoli is bad. Hooray!

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Basic physiology suggests that's highly unlikey among healthy individuals in the same population though, surely ? Although there are cultural traits found in different populations lactose intolerance etc,

Taste preferences appear to start with breast milk, early family meals, etc. and general social conditioning.

In this case Stuarts early life experiences with beetroot - when he first encountered them, whether he was forced to eat them as a puniushment as a child, memories he may have subsequently suppressed; apparently all of these things can have an effect,

michael adams

michael adams

With celery, for some people at least, the aversion may be more to do with the stringy texture, rather than the taste itself. The same can apply with pineapple as well.

michael adams

michael adams

yes I have a friend that hates celery, and pinapple except the time he had it straight from a grower and fresh he cantl stand tinned pinaple of even those pots you get. But he does like fresh pinnaple as a sweet but NOT on pizzaz or on sticks with cheese.

Some say similar things about marmite.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Celeriac mash is darn good, I think. (In the interest of disclosure: I like beetroot, though beetroot wine is something I'd only drink on a substantial bet.)

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Remoulade is the stuff. Common overseas where its a common staple of salads but seems to be relatively unknown here. On our infrequent day trips to France, usually come back with 400gm of it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ever since I had that salad sandwich in the west end 50 years ago with added slug protein, I have avoided any green food. Seems to have worked as a survival tactic!

Reply to
Capitol

Is that sioply mashed celeriac, or mashed potatoes with some celeriac added?

I positively enjoy making my own. As with so many things discussed here, it needs the right tool, such as a Benriner Mandolin. Other than that very easy. And very enjoyable. Nowadays you can readily buy Ood.

Reply to
polygonum

I recognise that dirt/soil taste.

Try sliced beetroot with finely sliced or chopped garlic or onion to get rid of that taste.

You benefit from beetroot AND garlic

Jogn

Reply to
news

Yes, SWMBO does too, using her Magimix.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The fact that it is readily available in other countries makes people assume that it is legal here. And there are many websites which purport to be UK ones which sell it. And, yes, if prescribed, that is OK - but even then you have to sign for your prescription when collected.

Reply to
polygonum

I've tried beetroot many times, in many ways. Never again. Garlic, though, is a staple in our kitchen.

Reply to
S Viemeister

ISTR you posted about the above, before.

All the figures you quote above, fall well within the normal range. Enviously so, to many people, I'd imagine. Information which is widely available on the web.

Why anyone with normal blood pressure should subject themselves to drinking beetroot juice, unless they actually liked the stuff, or should be visiting their doctors surgery to monitor its effects on their BP, suggests only one thing to me.

Whatever the effect of beetroot juice might be on people such as yourself with normal blood pressure, it certainly doesn't seem to be doing much for your hypochondria.

michael adams

michael adams

Bear in mind that GPs are obsessed with prescribing blood pressure pills, and they get very heavy handed if you try to reduce the dose. The drugs are presumably cheap, so why wouldn't they keep you on them?

Last time I called a doc out I was undergoing a violent stomach episode. First thing out of his bag was the blood pressure monitor. Later, in hospital, when gastro consultant was told I had high bp, he said "Well he would have wouldn't he?". A bit of common sense helps

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Would that also work for the slug(s)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Sorry I'm not sure what point you're making. That simply from your appearance it should be possible to conclude you had high BP ? But your BP could have been off the scale for all your GP knew.

I'll bet Doc Martin would have taken it as well. So there !

None of which, fortunately for him, applies to the person to whom I was addressing the post.

Its purely up to you, but as an impartial observer it does seem to me that you're allowing the issue of possible over prescription of blood pressure medication to rather cloud your judgement in respect of the medical profession in general. For myself until I've perfected the art of practising open heart surgery on myself, I'm prepared to take their word on a lot of things.

One thing I've never turned down are tests of any kind, whether routine screening or being sent for tests by my GP. Most of which fortunately for me have turned out to be totally unnecessary.If you read medical sites on the web one thing that strikes you are the number of US posters who suspect they have some sort of condition who are saving up so they can afford the test in maybe nine months time.

Gift horses and all that. (I've paid my stamps blah blah blah) And so have I.

michael adams

michael adams

michael adams