OT beetroot juice

Your prescription charge almost certainly doesn't cover the cost of prescribing and dispensing the medicine - even if it were supplied to the pharmacy for no cost at all.

The rationale for charges, and charge exemptions, is wayward and odd, but the worst charge should be £104 a year. Surely anyone who has any idea they will need more than twelve prescriptions a year would be mad not to purchase a prepayment certificate (PPC)?

Being exempt and often reading of others being gleeful at their exemption status, they are somewhat less happy when they realise the fairly modest advantage it gives them.

The unlucky ones (financially) are those who would have been better off with a PPC but didn't know that when they started getting prescriptions. For example, someone who gets three items in one go, then nothing, then some more items, and so on.

Reply to
polygonum

Most of the people I know who went for exercise have died early!

Reply to
Capitol

of course it's more unfair

it's a charge based upon how "unlucky" you have been this year

none of the other taxes work this way

tim

Reply to
tim...

well then it should!

I can by a packet of aspirin in the supermarket for 30p

Were I to get them on a script it would (nominally) cost me 8 pounds, which you say doesn't cover the dispensing fee.

where are all the additional costs that use up this 8 pounds?

but you don't, do you?

Even now I know that I'm going to need these BP meds every day, because the doctor gives me 2 months at a time I still only "know" that I need 6 per year. Allowing for an average of 3-4 per year for my other "problems, I'm up to 10

But will I need 12 this year? - I just don't know.

Which is how it is for most people

tim

Reply to
tim...