OT Apprentices must really like bollockings

Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Not a loo-tennant is he?

Reply to
brass monkey

That is complete rubbish.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It's also the law.

see

seat passenger - driver's responsibility. Rear seat (adult) passenger - passenger's responsibility.

It's different if the passenger is a child for obvious reasons.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

In article , ARWadsworth writes

Isn't this a repost?

Presumably after you said, "get out" it was?

Definitely a repeat, I remember making the same comment last time (nobody laughed then either . . . .).

Reply to
fred

No, it's rubbish!!

From the site you quoted (not that it's authoritative)

Adult passengers (14 years and over) Front: Seat belt MUST be worn if available. Rear: Seat belt MUST be worn if available. Responsibility: Passenger

For chapter and verse, start at

work back to the Road Traffic Act 1988

Reply to
Andy Burns

You have just posted a link that contradicts your statement. Anyone over 14 is responsible for wearing their own seat belt. It does not matter if they are sat in the front or back seats.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It has happened more than once at work. This time the apprentice was not "my apprentice". They seem to think that vans do not have seatbelt laws or windscreens to smash their face in.

About 50% of apprentices seem to think that they do not need to wear seatbelts.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Given that you regularly grumble about your apprentices, do you still take a few on every year or will the current ones be your last lot? Just intrigued that's all as many companies claimed to have given up with apprentices based on their poor experience with them. Also, would you consider getting apprentices through a training provider like JTL?

Reply to
gremlin_95

I'm waiting for the reality TV show.

Reply to
Adrian C

Look again at the "Who is responsible" column.

In every case it is the driver who is responsible. The one exception is for an adult rear seat passenger - there the passenger is responsible.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Per year?

This firm (not mine) can hire and fire them at rate of 2 or 3 a month.

If you find a good one then you keep them. The skill is in finding the good ones - there is much hidden potential out there.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

the driver is responsible for the front seat passengers at least. Not sure about the rear

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You're wrong - you may need to read it more carefully, but it doesn't say what you think it says. You've got three basic choices of action, which are a) acknowledge your mistake, b) ignore it but don't say any more on the subject and c) carry on insisting you're right. The first will get you most credit, the last will merely lead to people thinking you're an idiot.

Reply to
Clive George

The table does seem to make an assumption that the driver is actually sat in a front seat:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Nope, last row ...

"Adult passengers (ie 14 years and over) Seat belt MUST be worn if available. Seat belt MUST be worn if available. Passenger"

ie anyone over 14 is responsible for their own seatbelt .. The driver is responsible for himself and any children in the car, wherever they sit.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Seems to me that the main problem here is one of 'attitude'.

If jobs are reportedly so scarce then you would think that apprentices would have more respect for their 'elders'.

Reply to
Wesley

Are you calling me old?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Really? If he'd said that to me, I'd have sacked him.

Reply to
Huge

"Its you that gets to walk home if you don't" seems fitting ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm