OT: Any good at maths?

There are also a greater number of "softer" subjects available these days... e.g. If you compare a modern ICT A Level syllabus, with an 80's O level compute studies one it appears the A level is no more demanding.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hmmm, when I did O level maths in 1961, we didn't do any calculus. However, I did my O-level maths a year early, and then did the Additional Maths O-level a year later. That had a lot of calculus in it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That agrees with my recollection (I did both those O-levels in 1963) but it's worth bearing in mind that at that time the syllabuses/syllabi differed markedly from one exam board to the other.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Maybe over the whole country. However individual schools notice significant differences in ability from year to year.

IIRC some are still done like this.

Unlike now where they suddenly make it more difficult without telling anyone in advance.

Reply to
Mark

Tim Streater wrote in news:041220131615271588% snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net:

My uncle did calculus for his maths O Level in 1957.

It was only very elementary, just powers of x if I recall correctly. I don't know which board he did.

Apparently the JMB maths O Level had syllabuses A for grammar schools and B for secondary moderns. Presumably the latter was followed only by a small percentage of pupils at secondary moderns, this being before CSEs, when most would have left without any academic qualifications.

Here is a B paper from 1968 with questions requiring both differentiation and integration:

maths-o

I think O Levels may have changed significantly even in the early period, because when they were first introduced in 1951 they were meant just for the 'top 20%', and then later a figure of 40% was used.

Did you get percentages or had grades come in by 1961?

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

In message , Harry Davis writes

There was no calculus in the 1959 Cambridge O level maths. (Mind it was reckoned to be easier than the Oxford version).

I vaguely recall sitting the *B* paper which the site below says did not include calculus.

I got a C in 1959

Reply to
Tim Lamb

On Wednesday 04 December 2013 17:37 Harry Davis wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Hugely interesting - ta ^^^

CWT, £sd - modern kids would have an aneurism!

Some refreshingly practical questions too...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ah yes, mid-80s O-level Computer Studies. Part of it (a project) was marked by your own teacher and then the marks adjusted by the exam board according to spot inspections and how harshly the teacher was known to mark. Our teacher was only used to BBC Basic and it threw him completely when I used Sinclair SuperBasic on the QL!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I was under the Oxford board.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I had %-ages for O-levels (1961/2), with 45% being a pass, but no-one was ever awarded more than 90%. We had grades A to F (IIRC) for A-levels (1963/4), and there were Special papers (S-level) you could take which were harder and you either got a 1 or a 2 or nothing.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In one of my S level (1958) maths papers I got 101%. In reality it was

252/256 but to make life easier they percentaged out of 250. It would be a Maths paper ( a classmate got 254/256)
Reply to
charles

Tim Lamb wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk:

The author of that site is wrong. The 1968 exam papers reproduced on that page, which are both B papers, do require calculus. In Paper I, question A3 (b) asks candidates to integrate 3x^2 +(x^5)/5. In Paper II, question B11 also requires calculus.

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

A question on this week's University Challenge was "how many shillings are half a crown plus sixpence plus a florin?". Neither team got it right.

Reply to
Reentrant

The answer's a crown, of course. Rare as hens' teeth, they were when I was growing up. Massive things, and having one in your pocket made you feel rich.

Reply to
John Williamson

The answer is five.

Read the question!

Reply to
The Other Mike

Although I did.

Reply to
Huge

I've got 2! Festival of Britain & Coronation ones.

Reply to
charles

You seem to be forgetting one small detail. £sd went the way of the dodo over twenty years before any of those contestants were even born... Their parents would probably struggle to remember whatever the f*ck a florin and a crown were.

Reply to
Adrian

Yet somehow they manage to answer plenty of other historical questions.

Reply to
Reentrant

I thought I might be the first person to coin the phrase "gullible warming" but no chance - Google says 25,100 results.

Reply to
Matty F