OT: Any good at maths?

There was no bear. Glubble worming ate them all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1

Shocking level of education in the question setter.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That went before I was finished. The bear was white as the house is at the south pole so the bear would be a polar bear.

Mind you the version I heard was all the walls faced north, is this North facing the same as a Southern exposure? Did this get inverted in the telling or is there not enough information to tell the bears colour ? The question being deliberately very similar to the south pole one but with subtle differences to catch out the unwary?

If you are seeing purple bears it is time to put the bottle down.

Reply to
soup

Nope. It means all the walls face South.

Or the South Pole one being to catch out those who don't know you don't find Polar Bears in Antarctica? Actually, they are rare north of 88 degrees, so you probably wouldn't see one at the North Pole either.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On Tuesday 03 December 2013 13:38 Robin wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Very depressing...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Mount Fuji is a famous dormant volcano in Japan. It is only open to the public for climbing from 1 July to 27 August each year. About 200 000 people climb Mount Fuji during this time. On average, about how many people climb Mount Fuji each day?

Well the correct answer is of course 200,000/365.25 near enough which comes out at 547 people per day averaged over the year, because the questions fails to say 'in the period in which it is open'

Education is it seems so bad people cant even ask a question right, let alone come up with the right answer.

-- Assume you didn't see the part that said 'during this time' ? So the correct answer is....?

Reply to
Mal

Some of the ones in the 11+ are still hard! I passed the 11+, plus separate papers for Manchester Grammar, went on to do a BEng and then PgC and PgD and I'm actually very surprised how difficult some of the current 11+ questions are (our eldest has been taking then recently).

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Looks like it was me that got things inverted. Should engage brain properly before posting, I knew you don't get polar bears in the antarctic (as they don't eat penguins which do [that's another go to question]).

Not very much lives at the North pole but I would suggest it is MORE likely too be some sort of polar bear than a VERY lost grizzly.:O)

Interesting fact the area Arctic is named after the polar bear. Arktos being Greek for bear. Antarctic meaning "no bear".

Reply to
soup

You have to count up the number of days since the Big Bang (15 or so billyun years ago) and aggregate the number of people who've climbed Mt Fuji since humans appeared on the planet.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You might enjoy this then:

Michael Chare

That fails the test that the answer is always easy to work out.

I suspect that the days when you took a slide rule into the exam room are long gone.

Reply to
Michael Chare

John Rumm laid this down on his screen :

Got them all correct, doing them in my head. That despite not being able to work out an answer for the revolving door, which would agree with any of their answers - so I made a guess, and the guess was correct.

It does show you can just guess at ticky box answers with a good chance of passing :-(

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

What age were they aimed at?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Robin laid this down on his screen :

True, but would a kid even know what an odometer was?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I started off wondering if I was allowed to take my slide rule or log tables into the exam, but I didn't need them. Got 100%.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Isn't Mount Fuji an active volcano?

Reply to
alan

Indeed. But I would have expected a good examiner to avoid all "ometers" in case a kid didn't know what a "speedometer" was either. Eg "Helen has just got a new bike. It has an instrument panel which sits on the handlebar. The panel can ......"

Reply to
Robin

I posted the whole question They may have edited it since.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Duh! you are of course completely right!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, by golly it is!

Reply to