OT Another reason the get rid of fossil fuels.

On 23/06/2019 11:47, Steve Walker wrote:

What makes you think cleaning the particulate filter causes a problem?
dennis@home wrote:

They need to burn out the 'ash' somewhere, typically on long higher-revving journeys, given the 50mph stretches of the M4 are where it passes through urban areas, I suppose it might help to not inject the extra diesel to superheat the DPF in those areas, but it's not as though it happens all the time the car is at motorway speeds.
On Sunday, 23 June 2019 14:42:45 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

Not all of them. Some have to have an additive put in the fuel now and then to clear the filter.
On 24/06/2019 18:06, harry wrote:

The urea solution is to reduce the NOx not clean the filter.
dennis@home wrote:

there are companies (redex, stp, wynn's etc) selling DPF fuel additives, I've never heard of any diesel car requiring them, presumably they're for the gullible?
Levi Jones wrote:

A bit of extra diesel at £1.20 odd a litre, or a special additive for £10+ a bottle?

I was just about to make that very point. Unless the additive means that the DPF will require less regeneration from now on for some time in the future, you'd be better off burning extra fuel than buying the more expensive additive.
How frequently (eg mileage or amount of fuel used) does a typical DPF need regenerating? I ask because I've never been aware of it happening when I've been driving - there's no temporary change in performance or warning light on the dashboard.
Do the RedEx etc additives have any other effect than regenerating the DPF? I think I once bought one that claimed to clean the fuel injectors of any buildup of crud - that was for my first Pug 306 (1.9 turbo diesel as opposed to 2.0 HDi) which started hiccupping on gentle acceleration, and the garage recommended a bottle of it. They were about to put in some of their own stock - and charge me more than the Halfords price, so I said I'd get it myself ;-) That was long before diesel cars had DPFs and pouches of urea - probably mid 90s.

Some of the ways to burn off the soot in the filter don’t affect performance, its just more fuel injected into the exhaust to get the filter hotter to burn it off.

Yes, some claim to clean the injectors too.

Its only used very service, not every fill. And doesn’t cost that either.

Just one of those additives and they claim it reduces fuel consumption and it likely does with the engines which measure the pressure across the filter and burns fuel to burn off the soot in the filter if it actually burns off the soot itself instead so that isnt triggered.
On 24/06/2019 20:11, Levi Jones wrote:

Only if the computer is reprogrammed so it knows they are there. Otherwise it will just do its normal cycle.

Probably.
dennis@home wrote:

Apparently some Pugs do have an onboard DPF fluid reservoir
<https://www.eurocarcare.net/oil-and-fluids/ecc973697-genuine-psa-infinium-dpf-additive-3-litres.html

Doesn’t have to be with the systems that measure the pressure differential across the filter and use that to trigger a regeneration.

There isnt necessarily a normal cycle.

Trivial to measure if it does what it claims and see if it pays for itself.

There are some cars witha second small tank of "Blue" - what ever that is.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
charles wrote:

That is to do with reducing NOx, not particulates
On 24/06/2019 21:29, charles wrote:

Adblue is urea solution.
On Monday, 24 June 2019 22:08:36 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

silly question: can you use diy urea?