OT Another reason the get rid of fossil fuels.

Rather than continue this Q&A (which would be both tedious and impracticable as I'm off out now) I offer a guide to A1P1 which I think cover it and more besides.

Proper, qualified lawyerly people think there's bugger all chance that Harry's scheme (which involved a guarantee for 25 years) won't be covered. But if you spot a loophole then please tell the Treasury.

Reply to
Robin

There are plus point though.

Backstreet garages would no longer be able to charge for 'oil flush treatment' (then add VAt on top) for something that is simply never done.

Reply to
Andrew

Nope. just get rid of unnecessary diesel engines, including all those that pre-date EURO6 rules.

Reply to
Andrew

No-one became brain-dead because of nuclear power, but many have thanks to diesel engine emissions, and leaded petrol.

Reply to
Andrew

For the thousandth time, the ECHR is a result of a post-war initiative in Europe to establish standards of human rights, of which the UK was a promoter. It predates, and has nothing to do with, the EU. We are not going to abrogate our treaty obligations both in Europe and with the UN to support human rights just as result of leaving the EU.

A fascist government, should one seize power, might wish to withdraw from ECHR jurisdiction, but that would not be a direct result of Brexit.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Covered in moss.

Reply to
ARW

Hmm...thanks...I think! Skimmed through it but not read it in detail, too much legalese; didn't immediately see anything specific about subsidies, but no matter, that 25 year guarantee will be the clincher. Pity!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It would seem the ECHR is, like the ECJ, exceeding its brief and assigning as "rights" things that were never originally considered and that should not be rights.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ah...is that harrys problem?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or other things like walk to school or ban women from driving.

Reply to
ARW

I thouroughly recommend listening to this year's Reith Lectures; it covers this aspect of the balance between political and legal decision making very well.

#Paul

Reply to
news19k

Yes - I'd forgotten that. I heard parts of some of them and that's where I discovered that the ECHR is no longer what it set out to be 50 years ago or whenever it was.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I am pretty sure that we were intending to leave the ECJ, not the ECHR.

If we did want to leave the ECHR, we could not do that as a member of the EU though.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That's not quite what was said, IIRC, but (also IIRC) Sumption did also say that he had some hope the ECHR would start returning to narrower interpretations of the law[1]. But it would be best to listen again - I found that a moments distraction could quite easily mean that you lost the thread.

There is a transcript, btw; but whilst we could all have fun quoting the odd sentence or two, his arguments are a little more integrated than that.

#Paul [1] End p6 of the pdf transcript linked above.

Reply to
news19k

Exactly. So many things that are 'not part of the EU' are it seems 'part of the EU'.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought there was a differnce between Guarantee with a capital and guarantee uncapitalised. Remember the Equitable Life meltdown

20 to 25 years ago.
Reply to
Andrew

Manufacturers could do a lot more to reduce particulate emission from diesel engines, like use the sat nav to prevent heavy acceleration and EGR cleaning in those areas which are recognised pollution 'hot spots'.

Reply to
Andrew

I don't know much about EGR, but doesn't it reduce efficiency? As one of the benefits claimed for diesel over petrol engines was improved efficiency due to higher combustion temperatures (but resulting in higher NOx emissions), why bother with a diesel with EGR (which runs cooler so less NOx, but less efficient as a result)? Why not just stick with petrol?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Thin end of the wedge. How long before they extend it to all motorways? May not make too much of a difference on a typical commute, but it makes a big difference on longer journeys.

Limiting acceleration wouldn't be good when you tried to pull around a slower vehicle and found that you couldn't accelerate fast enough to prevent the vehicle already in that lane catching up with you.

Preventing particulate filter cleaning is perhaps a good idea, but it couldn't be a blanket prohibition on an area - what if someone only normally does long, fast runs on a certain section of motorway and their car can never clear its filter? There'd have to be an automatic override whenit became too clogged - and that would have to be set at quite a low level, in case the car wasn't driven on a motorway for a few more weeks.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Really? What specifically do you think they are doing wrongly?

Reply to
dennis