OT: Another challenge

I see those solicitors who were behind the Article 50 legal case are now at it challenging the Govt's agreement with the DUP.

I wonder if they've read the Bill of Rights.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Solicitors act for clients. They don't work independently

Reply to
charles

I see you have had little to do with the legal profession.

They work for themselves.

They pretend to work for their clients.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And you would think that if any of this (buying government support and Brexit) were so cut_and_dry to really be the best thing for all of us, it wouldn't be dividing the country as it seems to be and we wouldn't have so many people fighting / questioning every single step and action along the way.

And that's just the realism of even starting to think that a lead of

4% actually truly represents 'the people speaking'. It (obviously) isn't 'the people' (by a long way), it's just 4% of those people who actually responded to the poll on that particular day (as we have seen with such a massive swing in the result of the recent snap election).

So, if we 'the people' are supposed to be voting on our own futures with such things, I wonder how the Leave / Remain poll might have panned out if we had said 'the best of three', before, during at the end of any 'negotiations'.

It's more like someone started a scam with Chinese whispers, got the result of the poll they wanted and then stuck their fingers in their ears when 'the people' actually realised what had happened.

The Brexit (or not) result should, like 'alternative energy', be able to stand on it's own two feet, *IF* it really is the best solution for us all.

You shouldn't really need to bribe or subsidise a good idea ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

apart from the fact that my father, grandfather, great grandfather, etc were all solicitors.

That's your view.

Reply to
charles

It's my experience

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I see you're not addressing the salient point.

And in any case, it was the solicitor who was on BH at 09.00 on R4 today. He didn't mention a client, and was billed on BH as being the prime mover.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Tim Streater writes

I don't think this is correct, because I heard him on R4 this morning. He said his client was some Green Party (woman?) who had polled just 400 and something votes in the election and was crowdfunding to raise the solicitor's fees. He seemed to be saying that he had prepared the case ready for when and if he was paid. At this point I switched off and went into the paper shop.

Reply to
Bill

They can be their own clients

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK - I must have missed that bit.

Still waiting for the salient point to be commented on.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Sore because you lost? Its sometimes financially painful when you divorce someone even if brexiteers think otherwise.

Reply to
dennis

T i m posted

I don't think anybody thinks that Brexit is clearly the best thing for everybody. In fact, it's quite clear that a lot of people think it isn't.

It is simply that more people want it than oppose it. So that's what we're going to do.

The people who didn't respond don't count.

But we didn't, and one of the rules of the game is that you don't change the rules after the game.

Sorry, who's bribing or subsidising something?

Reply to
Handsome Jack

No-one has bribed anyone. The DUP wanted concessions to co-operate with the Conservatives. Those concessions are for the whole of Northern Ireland, not one "side" of it - extra money for the NHS, infrastructure, etc. If the Conservatives hadn't formed a government with the help of the DUP, Labour would have formed one with other parties and to get their cooperation, they would have agreed various policies - which would also have cost money. Look at the 2010 coalition, the Liberal Democrats pushed for increased personal tax allowances and free school meals for infants - and those cost a lot of money.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Governments are bribing/subsidising alternative energy. Which can't stand on its own two feet because it only has one. ,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
[29 lines snipped]

And here we have the attitude of the Brexiteer, plain and clear to see; f*ck you, I'm all right.

Reply to
Huge

Didn't you vote to 'bring back control'?

Or is 'control' limited to things you approve of?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just for Northern Ireland, were they?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Where on the ballot paper did it say "bring back control"? That's right, it didn't. The choice was Remain/Leave. Now be a good little prick and STFU with your whining.

Reply to
Richard

Don't be a twerp. They had a chance and didn't take it, so they don't count. Just as in any other election.

Reply to
Tim Streater

With *all* the other parties, including the DUP. So is T i m (AKA Harry Worth) trying to say that the DUP (and all the other parties) wouldn't have demanded concessions under *those* conditions too? Suppose the DUP demanded one thing and the LimpDems the opposite. Then where are you?

It's very unlikely that Steptoe would have been able to form any sort of stable govt.

Reply to
Tim Streater