Bathroom floor prep - For vinyl flooring.

Hi Group,

Im planning to lay down some vinyl fooring in our bathroom (2m x 3m)

I've just got to tighten down a couple of squeaky floorboards. What would you guys recommend laying on top of the foorboards to accomodate the vinyl. Someone has suggested ply wood. If I go down this route, should I secure with nails or screws?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Donnelly

hardboard. If you want perfection use levelling compound on top

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thin ply or possibly hardboard... Personally I would screw it down since there is less chance of a screw working lose and the head becoming visible through the flooring.

Reply to
John Rumm

Plywood used here and it was stapled down. 20 + years ago so probably a better staple gun than my Screwfix cheapy:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Otherwise annular shank nails can do the trick.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Except when someone wants to lift those floorboards at some point in the future. Which they won't be able to do without either knocking lumps out of the floorboards or possibly having to use a core drill to cut around every nailhead.

Have you never wondered why all flooring cleats, both traditional and those used in nailers, are all tapered ? And usually flat with t heads so they can be aligned with the edge of the board ?

But at least you didn't suggest cluing so that's something I suppose.

michael adams

michael adams

or gluing for that matter

Reply to
michael adams

You are aware of course that we are talking about an additional layer fixed to the top of the floorboards, and not describing fixing of the boards themselves? Removing a single board in such circumstances is going to be a major PITA anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hardly as big a PITA as it would be if it was nailed down with with annular shanked nails. In fact using screws makes that job considerably easier than it would be had any type of nail been used. Regardlessof any danger of them working loose or not.

michael adams

michael adams

If it's rigid vinyl any fixing needs to be flush, even a 1mm step edge causes premature failure. Soft vinyl isn't so worried.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Whatever you use to fix it down, make sure they are no longer than the thickness of the floor (childhood memories of my Dad and an emergency plumber).

David

Reply to
David