OT: Am I missing something?

Saw some ads for this new product on TV last night.
http://www.dettol.co.uk/no-touch-handwash-system/index.php
Apparently; " Hands may come into contact with millions of germs every day. But have you ever thought about those germs ending up on your soap pump? Fact: Your soap pump can harbour hundreds of bacteria".
Errm. The only time I would touch a soap pump - is when I was going to wash my hands?
Or am I missing something here?
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
Andy Dingley wrote:

They have their uses.
Mostly it's to drop off, stick in the U-bend, and make lots of employment for emergency plumbers.
(or so I'm told!)
Andy

Exactly what my missus said. There's also the fact that most people have to touch a tap to wash the crap off again! It's pathetic paranoia-inducing sales bollocks, obviously, and bloody annoying. If there were no bacteria we'd all be up to our eyeballs in dead things.
Si
On Mon, 31 May 2010 15:09:56 +0100, Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot wrote:

Quiet agree just playing on the ignorant.

If there were no bacteria we would be in the heap of dead things, we *need* them to live. Of the billions of different bacteria out there just a few can have nasty effects, they that's what we have immune systems for. We seem to have survived as a species for the last several hundred thousand years without soaps and disinfectants...
--
Cheers
Dave.

Exactly. And I do not end up in hospital on a life support machine after rimming a bird.
Adam
On 31/05/10 16:30, ARWadsworth wrote:

Don't you find the feathers get stuck in your teeth?
;->
--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.

Exactly, and furthermore...
...beg pardon?
:o)
Si
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"

Nasty things, chickens.
On 31/05/2010 16:30, ARWadsworth wrote:

Try it on a goose! ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

On 31 May, 15:09, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"

Copper & brass have pretty good antibacterial properties for this.
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

So, the real problem is washing hands under running water:
1 Turn on tap, thus contaminating it. 2 Wash hands (with whatever soap product). 3 Turn off tap, re contaminating hands.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
Chris J Dixon wrote:

I remember when pubs had bowls of free peanuts on the counter. Now that would be asking for trouble.
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember stuart noble

Istr an analysis of pub peanuts in bowls revealed an average of 28 different urine traces.

Well they are salted ...
YSTR an urban legend IWS
If I go through life and the worst that I get is piss flavoured peanuts, I won't have done so badly
When I'm in the far east, the best food comes from roach coaches and street vendors. Ice and veg washed in water - fuck it, bring it on, exposure to "bugs" has meant that I very rarely get sick
This "anal" approach (bad word really) to cleanliness, where the body is insulated from anything bad means that any exposure to even minor bugs will take a hairdresser down at 100 metres
--
geoff

On 04/06/2010 02:22, geoff wrote:

Doesn't work with cholera and giardia, which means you need to take care of the water supply. Once your water has bugs like that in it, life gets messy.

Never heard of giardia, but yes - if there was a breakout of cholera, it would be bad news - but then there are plenty of other statistically more probably ways to get very ill or die
I didn't take malaria pills either - not really an option for the long term expat
--
geoff

geoff wrote:

I had the same attitude until I got a dose of norovirus. Now I wash my hands after being anywhere near young kids. That thing really is contagious. As for food, I love the street vendor cuisine. In my youth I spent a couple of months in North Africa, dining in soup kitchens and the like, without a hint of any gut trouble. On the evening before I left I treated myself to a meal in a posh French restaurant. Yeah, you guessed it. Had the trots all night.
saying something like:

Boil the Yakult to kill the bacteria. You know it makes sense.
Adam
Chris J Dixon wrote:

wash tap wash hands again

turn off now pristine sparkling Lo-germ tap.