OT All electric fighter plane.

<chuckle>

When I was little, I used to think that the English Electric Canberra was powered by electricity! LOL.

Chris Hogg

I was wondering why we have not seen many April Fool silly stories. I suppose people are of doing them with the virus about. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Should have gone to Specsavers, that looks nothing like a Canberra.

Reply to
Richard

However, you can already buy an all-electric flight training aircraft, with a one hour + reserves flight time. Recharge time 45 minutes or change the battery pack in five. It works out a lot cheaper for training than using aviation fuel and one hour is enough for most lessons.

There is a lot of interest in electric and hybrid aircraft ATM. Electric motors are being offered for some small commercial aircraft, like the Cessna Caravan and one company is claiming it will have an all-electric small airliner flying within the next seven years.

Reply to
nightjar

No need for them on here. Most days are April 1st.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Chris Hogg snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

And the English Electric P1 Lightning?

Reply to
bert

I was older and wiser by then...

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Thatw as "greased lightning"

Reply to
charles

In article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Chris Hogg snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

LOL

Reply to
bert

No chance.

harry

No range specified for any of them, near as I could tell.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The University of Stuttgart, which has demonstrated a light aircraft with a 300 mile range, claims that current technology would allow for a

100 seat electric aircraft with a 400km range. They think that could double within the next five years. The market for electric airliners is estimated to be worth around $22bn over the next 15 years, so there is a lot of interest with Boeing, Airbus, and Raytheon all working on the technology.
Reply to
nightjar

Shouldn't be too difficult to work out for the one powered via a cable!

Reply to
Andy Burns

In general a li-ion will keep you in cruise about an hour, so half an hour times the cruising speed is 'safe'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Graphene batteries will be a quantum leap in battery technology making the small airliner possible. One suggestion is to have an induction pick up on the nose wheel with an induction strip under the runway - done in France on trams. This way the plane can take energy from the ground on take off preserving batteries. Also the using ski-jump runways to make runways shorter and also giving greater lift, saving energy, giving greater range.

Hybrid planes are proposed with one propeller being electric with a turbo-prop engine turning another prop & also generating electricity charging a battery bank. Other ideas are a turbo-prop engine in the rear of the fuselage producing electricity only, using a high revving alternator which are more efficient. The wing engines then can be light electric motors, meaning weaker wings, saving weight and cost.

Reply to
John

Np. they woon't.

? One suggestion is to have an

Christ on a bike., I take it you failed maths O level ?

? Also the using

See abopve.

I dunno who invented you, but you have to be the most stupid gullible poster here.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you believe in perpetual motion too?

Reply to
harry

As I wrote other have proposed these. Do some looking on Google then you will see them. You are also a self opinionated idiot.

Reply to
John

No,. I am a highly qualified engineer with a degree in electrical engineering and considerable understanding of aeronautics.

I understand the equations of flight.

You do not or you would know why all of those suggestions are meaningless.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher