OT: Alcohol is an antidepressant or a depressant?

I read here and there that alcohol is a depressant, and find this nonsense. When you drink, you feel good. If it was a depressant, nobody would buy it. Some sites say it's a depressant later. I find that later it has no effect at all.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Well, whenever I've taken it its made me depressed. I suspect it depends very much on the individual. Most drugs affect the various levels of neuro transmitters, and of course how this affect any one person depends on what is normal for them. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

We can now add in alcohol to the long list of things you know nothing about.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

... and the person sitting next to you on the park bench agrees with you, especially if you offer to share your White Lightning.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It depresses those inhibitions which prevent you from telling your boss / colleague / wife / etc. what you really think of him or her.

The actual depression comes the next day when they repeat what you said to them, and explain the inevitable consequences.

michael adams

michael adams

Can happen while drinking. Hence the expression 'In your cups'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Surely it depends on the person and how it's used. Somne have a lot of fun while drinking while others end up killing themselves. Some get aggressive on certain alcohols while other just giggle, some throw up, others fall asleep.

That depends on many things.

Hangovers are rarely pleasent.

Reply to
whisky-dave

It is a mind (or mood) altering drug. Many others do much the same. But just how alcohol works is unpredictable and varies from person to person. As do the side effects.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So are a lot of things including chocolate, as can the weather.

Yes but not everyone gets depressed on alcohol, people that get depressed might chose alchol because it gets them drunk and allows them to forget, but a lot of drugs do that.

Reply to
whisky-dave

If everyone felt the same as you, they wouldn't take it.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Why are you assuming I'm talking about excessive alcohol?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I made it quite clear. If alcohol made you depressed, there would be no point in taking it.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

So it doesn't actually make you depressed then. The word depressant is a medical term and has nothing to do with feeling shit.

I've never been out of control of what I say when drunk.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I'm considering a pint or two. Not excessive amounts.

Like?

Never had one, but they aren't depressing, just sore. I've been told it's like a headache.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

rote:

fun while drinking while others end up killing themselves. Some get aggress ive on certain alcohols while other just giggle, some throw up, others fall asleep.

Depends what of doesn't it, a pint of average beer is OK, but I'd draw the line at a pint of absinthe.

State of mind when drinking. Most people grab a drink at the sound of bad n ews, something I've never done and don;t understand, drown your sorrows or so they say, maybe you've not heard of that saying.

But many people drink on happy occasions too, such as birthdays and christm as, so the reasons people drink vary. It's also said that humans are the on ly animal that drinks when we're not thirsty.

ffect at all.

s like a headache.

Bit like the pope giving advice on sex then ;-)

More hangovers are more similar to a migraine for some, plus the room can s pin around and you get dizzy and nauseous, they can be pretty depressing/em barrassing if you start remmebering what you did at the time. Some get sexu ally agressive and drink is often a key component in a rape case. Of course some might not find rape depressing I think I would. You can do yourself s erious damaged too let alone others.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Drink more before posting then you might make sense.

Reply to
Richard

State? I thought it was done physically with a cuddle?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

State? I thought it was done physically with a cuddle?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

It is true that a little drink enhances thought processes.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

You don't measure that in pints. The prices would put people off.

Yes I have heard that saying, in fact I mentioned it in this thread quite recently. I do so.

That makes you even happier, so the occasion becomes more fun. The reason is always to increase your mood.

Now water we don't. Unless to cool down.

Isn't a migraine just a bad headache? I thought it was one that was close to the eyes, affected by bright light, and quite intense.

That means you're still drunk.

In a non-prudish society, rape becomes the same as a game of cards or chess - an enjoyable activity for two people. Nobody has ever gone to jail for forcing a game of chess on someone.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265