OT (again): Rats

Maybe not so off-topic, since we all have 'domains' small or large ...
I know there's rats round about our house (and I know the old adage "you're never further away from a rat than about 5 yards" or something like that). However ...
I've just seen a rat noshing away like a good 'un at the foot of our bird table. I surmise it's maybe a nursing mother, to explain its appearance at mid-day.
So rats: how tolerant should I be? Kill a couple, or aim at genocide?
We had them at the back of the garden a few years ago,in winter, and with the aid of traps and poison I killed half a dozen, and we never saw them again.
I've put down a trap just now to see if I can kill one or two more.
I'm aware that [in these parts] if they were squirrels we'd be delighted to see them (for a week or two anyway).
Opinions?
John
On 04/06/16 13:49, Another John wrote:

You can never kill too many rats.

Genocide. Think Himmler.

Or grey squirrels.

Email me and I'll send you a dozen squirrels gladly. ;-)
--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

On 6/4/2016 1:49 PM, Another John wrote:

I can recommend this stuff as very palatable to them
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151616307713?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&varE0825540079&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I found a new rat-run going through bedding in the stables the other day and went to re-bait a bait box only to find the lid chewed open and the whole contents gone. It was a rat rather than mouse sized hole.
Havn't seen signs of rats since so I think it probably did work.
I do think you need to control them around farms and stables because there is inevitably plenty of spilled food, and you don't want them destroying stuff even if you lock spare food and leather tack in metal cabinets. I think they are less of a problem around houses and gardens, my main domestic problem is that the dogs dig up lawns and flower beds in search of the buggers. I have had them in the house, but not for a long time, after closing off access (via tunnels through the walls to an outbuilding).
Commercial stables and farms seem to manage with cats and/or dogs.
On 04/06/2016 15:02, newshound wrote:

What's professional strength about it? Its exactly the same strength as the stuff you can buy in B&Q.
On 04/06/2016 13:49, Another John wrote:

I've had far more trouble with squirrels than rats. (The American grey things, not Squirrel Nutkins)
Andy
On Sunday, 5 June 2016 21:43:42 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:

If they get into your roof space they can gnaw the wiring.
On 06/06/2016 06:22, harry wrote:

Yes. Or plastic pipes. Or they can fall into the water tank and drown. Or just damage timbers.
It was unnerving lying in bed hearing a chewing noise, and not knowing whether I would get soaked, the house catch fire, or maybe just nothing. Until a few small bones come out of the hot tap...
Andy
On 06/06/2016 21:24, Vir Campestris wrote:

Round here we are very close to woodland with large numbers of grey squirrels - we've never had a problem. It was the Glis glis that caused lots of neighbours much grief. (For some reason, they skipped us.)
--
Rod

On 04/06/2016 1:49 PM, Another John wrote:

With tongue in cheek...
If the problem was internal, I would suggest feeding them Monsanto corn. Watch some of the videos to see the damage it does.