OT Advice requested about disposal of Amateur radio gear

This is not an ad* so please bear with me and the usual reasons for the OT posting here, being that it's one of the few groups I know of with sensible people still populating it.

Following untimely passing of Brother in law, 49 :( I have been asked by his widow if I could help her in disposing of some of the accumulated items. Now given I know about as much about Ham gear as her I don't know where to start and advice would be welcomed.

There are a couple of communication transceivers (Yaesu and Icom) that should have some value that she would like (read needs) to sell along with a few other items (the rest of it is likely to be pretty low value CB type stuff and I guess most of that could go on freecycle or similar).

Ebay would not be a first choice, but I guess it is the default answer unless better suggestions present themselves. Thanks

Lee

*Email address is *not* valid and I don't have any model numbers to hand yet any way.

PS Was licensed, but it's been a fair old while since he was on air so I don't think there's likely to be any club connections or similar. If there's any interest I can try to get hold of his handle - neither of us know it without digging through paperwork.

Reply to
Lee

Have a word with the Radio Society of Great Britain (RSGB) and see if they'll let you advertise in their magazine, Radcom;

Failing that, see if you can get in touch with your local radio society, who may be able to help. A Google for "{whereyoulive} radio society" will likely find it, or the RSGB may be able to help.

Rgds,

G0CNR (although inactive for many, many years.)

Reply to
Huge

Thanks for that, just checked and there is indeed a local club that is still active. I will approach them and see if they can help.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Your best bet might be with a local club if such still exists since they would know the value of the kit and be likely to give a fair price (once you know model nos check on eBay to avoid expensive mistakes).

Worth checking contact numbers for their secretary if you can find them.

Another advantage is that they might well give you a job lot price for the miscellaneous random bits and pieces like PSUs and test gear.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Before you do, take a note of makes and model numbers, and search to see if you can find any others for sale. That may give you an indication of value and possible selling places.

Reply to
fred

Well, I'm sure you will get suggestions about companies who buy second hand gear etc in the ham fraternity, then there are the radio clubs who might have an in house magazine which can publish adverts. It might be wise to enter in the part numbers of the known to be good items and look for what they are worth though. You might be surprised, some are ought after while others two a penny. Also test gear if in working order is often worth more than you think. The only people as a company I've ever done business with are martin Lynch. Not sure of spelling here, but mostly you can get more on a private sale of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes and is a call sign, not a handle. Very few people still use cb gear unless its modified to work on the 10 metre band, so beware of modified items when selling. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'd look up model numbers on ebay, which is also a logical place to sell, o nce you know what it is. Posting good clear details pics somewhere, eg tiny pic, should help us and others ID some of the other kit. You're not going t o know what's working unless you can find someone knowledgeable to assist i n checking items out. Working or not has a big effect on sale price of cour se, in most cases. Maybe a local ham group could help.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If it's older stuff then

allow for sale ads

Allowing collection from one of the various fairs can encourage buyers who don't want to pay postage on low-value items.

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Sorry to hear that your Brother in Law is Silent Key* especially at such a young age.

I too think the local radio club will help.

  • From the telegraphic procedural signal __ SK signifying the end of a contact.
Reply to
Graham.

You could take a table at one as a 'radio car boot sale':

Though obviously it'll help to have things priced up in advance.

Maybe ebay the major kit and then radio rally the minor bits or those infeasible to post?

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

If there are odd bits left over that you need to clear, after selling the good stuff of course, your local radio society would probably appreciate them. Very often these clubs are run on a shoestring and make some of their funds by selling off oddities at radio rallies. It's not a lot of income, but every little helps. :)

There are still quite a few dealers that handle amateur radio equipment. You'd probably get a fair price off them, but not as much as you might make in a private sale. After all, the dealer has a living to make.

Reply to
mick

The local club will be helpful and hopefully someone can check the equipment over and as has been said eBay is probably your best bet. You can also sell through Martin Lynch (one the main sellers of amateur radio equiment). They provide a free service at

. I've not attachment to Martyn Lynch - just a satified customer :-)

Charlie. M0WYM

Reply to
Charlie