OT Adobe acrobat

Idly poking around my desktop (gently snowing outside) I came across a huge download file of every Acrobat pdf looked at since I changed to W7pro.

I guess somewhere there must be an option to save or not? But where? This is Acrobat reader DC

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I am afraud I simply do not understand what you are saying - a single file of all PDFS glued end to end so to speak?

I very much doubt it.

And what has Acrobat got to do with it?

It's only one of many PDF readers

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bed wrongside issue?

W7 offers a *downloads* file. XP had a similar beast but did not (to my recollection) save PDFs on a permanent basis.

I want to avoid permanently storing every instruction manual/catalogue I ever look at!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It falls between two stools ... your browser downloads .pdf file and launches acrobat, acrobat displays the file, but neither feel it's their job to delete it afterwards, you might want to keep it for future reference.

Disks are big and cheap.

Reply to
Andy Burns

And not a downloads 'Folder' Tim?

Like in a downloads folder?

It may be how you are accessing them (if we actually are talking about a downloads 'Folder' etc).

eg. You can first download a (pdf) file and then open it in an offline .pdf viewer or open it directly from the website using a browser that has .pdf viewing capabilities built in (or been added etc)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Oh! User housekeeping then. Be nice if there was an option save/not save somewhere.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There is if you have a browser plugin enabled that downloads the PDF to a temporary file and then views it from there inside the browser. It still may get left if the browser or computer crashes.

Uncountable numbers of orphanned temporary files and other junk accumulate on all windoze systems which is why CCleaner was invented.

Otherwise you are manually downloading the file to the downloads directory and viewing it with a PDF viewer manually. Manuals you have downloaded once may well be useful in the future. Online old manuals have an annoying habit of evaporating or being hidden behind a paywall.

Reply to
Martin Brown

In message , T i m writes

One of my issues with Firefox is the regular version updates which seem to require re-visiting the user preferences. Why can't they leave the user settings alone?

Anyway I don't actually know what is doing what. If I click on a site PDF and it opens on my screen, I read it and close it. The retention appears to be an Acrobat choice as I regularly clear their *recent* list.

Anyway, it has stopped snowing so I must venture out.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

OK I'll have a look for the Firefox plug-in

Still be nice if the close button gave an option to dump or retain. The system doesn't even warn of duplication.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well, me and others. ;-)

But this is where the likes on TNP is likely to get thrown (and I'll not mention 'left brainers' ... who would cope with the rigid but not the fuzzy very well ...). ;-)

Ok, we have met and so I may well have a better / personal insight into what you may or may not know re PC's and I wasn't exactly sure that didn't actually have some 'file' as you suggested (as you do know quite a bit about your machines, in spite of what you say) but I asked the question *anyway* as it was the only thing that made any sense?

FWIW, I also use Firefox and open a fair amount of .pdfs and on my (XP) machine they will only save anywhere (other than a temp / cache folder possibly) if I ask it to so I wonder if it is a setting somewhere?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's possibly not saving them.

It keeps a LIST and size of file and where it last found it but if you have deleted the file it will not be find it.

Reply to
alan_m

So you're confused over the soft and hard versions of things. I use a Mac so when opening a PDF it usually opens in preview. I fI want I can add pages to preview and it will save the PDF with added pages, which could be handy but I wouldn't want it to do this with every PDF, maybe thre ;s an option in acrobat which I havent used for a few years. Most PDFs I do view are saved in the downloads folder but they appear as seperate files. I had acrobat professional once so many options for so little use for what I wanted.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Right. I'll check. I may be gone some time...

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It normally archives old copies. It is set in the browser settings normally.

If its windows 7 look in your user named folder and look at downloads in there. Of course if you moved it then you will need to look in the browser. Could I suggest master seeker as a free little utility which can find everything you ever wanted and help you move them about. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff
[snipping]

Reply to
Allan

Yes, Firefox accumulates vast amounts of crud in temporary files, but Ccleaner can get rid of it when you feel that it's too much. Mind you, your hard drive probably has far more capacity than you need.

Reply to
Dave W