Overseeding before snowing

Hi,

My backyard lawn needs overseeding. I wonder if it's a good idea to do it right before winter. We have a few month snow covering in Midwest Canada

My thought is to overseed right before snowing, and they will germinate early next spring after snow melting. Or the seeds will die in winter?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John61

I thougtht the same thing, but further south here in Pennsylvania. In hind sight I've seen this, I seed early, snow on the ground, we get a few days warm weather, seeds sprout, then a blizzard hits, sprouts die.

I now generally seed in the fall, and several weeks before I use crabgrass preventor.

just my observations,

tom @

Tom The Great

I was disappointed with the seeds I bought that they claimed is the best on the market. The seeds contain weeds, and they didn't grow as fast as I expected. I did this after winter, and yet I didn't see any thing progressing.

So if you want to seed now before winter? I supposed it won't make any difference because seeds grow so slowly. It could be my ground too, it's too hard maybe.

Reply to
Venus

Hi John.

You can do that if you delay your pre-emergent crabgrass control until May and you use Dimension. That will give your seedlings more establishment time next spring.

Reply to
Steveo

Usually in very minute amounts if you're careful where you purchase your seed.

Reply to
Steveo

From Home-depot. The most expensive stuff, doesn't seemed to grow well.

Reply to
Venus

If you put down the common pre-emergent crabgrass control products several weeks before seeding, it will not only prevent crabgrass from germinating, but the grass seed too. You can use Tupersan, but it's expensive and why would you when seeding in Fall? At that point, crabgrass, which needs warm temps to germinate is not a problem.

Reply to
trader4

Reply to
MANIC_D

Reply to
MANIC_D

Not a bad idea if :

1) You overssed before the ground freezes 2) Make sure there is good seed to soil contact

To ma>Hi,

Reply to
Sir Topham Hatt